Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20717 Discussions

Cyclone EP1C20 slew rate

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Where can I find the slew rate(rise time/fall time) of EP1C20F400c8 

Looked in the cyclone family data sheet. could not find it. 

I want to reduce the slew rate from default to something slower.
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If slew rate (or any other feature) is not in the device spec or the feature does not exist in quartus then it means it is not supported and that the slew rate(or any other feature) is fixed to some optimum value.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The rise/fall times are not in the Cyclone datasheet. You could try measuring them on a (fast) oscilloscope, though. 

You can reduce the slew rate by setting the "Slow Slew Rate' in the Assigment Editor. It really helps in reducing EMI emission.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Page 61 of alter cyclone family hand book says - 

"Using minimum settings provides signal slew rate 

control to reduce system noise and signal overshoot" 

Reducing overshoot is exactly what I am trying to do. Are rise/fall time that difficult to put in a data sheet.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Are rise/fall time that difficult to put in a data sheet. 

--- Quote End ---  

Most likely it isn't. Put it in as a specification means it has to be tested. Apparently Altera ried to avoid this.  

Actual rise- and fall times depend a lot on load capacitances. Newer chips, e.g. Cyclone III have a big list of specifications, that allow to estimate the IO speed depending on current strength and load capacitances. Similar data aren't given for Cyclone. 

But detailed empirical rise- and fall times for most devices, also Cyclone, are given in the ibis files available at Altera.com. Nevertheless, most designers prefer to adjust the IO parameters based on measurements, I think.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Where are the rise times given in the IBIS?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

How do you get it from IBIS? from the ramp info -  

[Ramp] 

dV/dt_r 1.071e+000/1.704e-009 6.947e-001/2.142e-009 1.195e+000/1.026e-009 

dV/dt_f 1.003e+000/7.980e-010 6.627e-001/1.026e-009 1.269e+000/6.460e-010
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Refer to the IBIS specification http://www.eigroup.org/ibis/specs.htm 

The [Ramp] values are calculated from the above rising and falling waveform tables, which are almost self-explanatory, I think. Please notice the voltage terminated 50 ohm load ("R_fixture","V_fixture") which possibly reduces the output swing below the specifications of the respective I/O standard. But the effect of the "Slow Slew Rate I/O" setting can be clearly seen.
0 Kudos