Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20750 Discussions

Cyclone I Fpga Stand Alone

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am wondering if i can buy the Cyclone I fpga chip for 10euros only and do my next projects with this instead of paying some complete boards with 60+euros. 

It is difficult to program-configure a stand alone chip like this? or i will need manyy side components.... 

I already own an Pluto II board which i program it via Serial. Maybe i can use it to programm my next FPGs. 

Thank you.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

you should really put together a bill of materials for spinning your own board and compare it with the off the shelf board cost 

on the other hand it can be a good learning experience and can allow you to do more complicated designs creating a custom board
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

nice, i am willing to to this, but where can i find the instructions and the handbook to do this.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

well you first should consider whether you really want to design with Cyclone I. you might be better off with CII or CIII 

next you'll need to choose a configuration scheme. active serial with an EPCS (or some kind of compatible SPI, search the forum) is the easiest option. you'll also need an oscillator and power supplies at a minimum 

if you use CIII you can use Altera's schematic review worksheets and pin connection guidelines. even if you don't use CIII you can still get an idea of important things to check on your schematic: 

http://www.altera.com/download/board-layout-test/schematic-review-ws/srw-index.jsp 

you can also take a look at Altera's schemetics for boards, maybe try the CIII Starter Kit by installing the kit and looking at the board design files
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

thank you, you were very helpful!!!!!

0 Kudos