Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20743 Discussions

Difficulty using clocks on F-Series Development Kit

JackLusenhop
Beginner

I am having a difficult time understanding how to use the clock on the Intel Agilex 7 FPGA F-Series Development Kit (P-Tile and E-Tile) DK-DEV-AGF014EA. I tried creating a simple design to toggle the on-board LED by directly connecting the pins for the 100MHz and 50 MHz clocks to my design. This did not work, but I was able to get the Nios® V Processor PIO LED Toggle Design Example working. I noticed that in this design the s10_configuation_clock ip was used rather than directly connecting to a pin. This worked when I tried it for my own design, but am I going to have to use this IP for all my designs or is there a way to setup the 100MHz and 50 MHz design? I also noticed that the output of the s10_configuration_clock was connected to GLOBAL primitive and was wondering what the purpose of this is. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
roeekalinsky
Valued Contributor I

Hi @JackLusenhop ,

Not sure what aspect specifically is giving you trouble, but here's a simple example design that toggles an LED using the 100 MHz clock on the DK-DEV-AGF014EA board.  See attached.

-Roee

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I'm not familiar with the IP you mention.  Do you mean a clock control block (altclkctrl)?  These are used for selecting clock sources, global clock enables, and connections to the global clock routing channels of the device (the global I believe you are asking about).

Always a good idea to go through the user guide for your device: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683761/24-1/fpga-clocking-and-pll-overview.html

0 Kudos
JackLusenhop
Beginner

Hi @sstrell

Thanks for the link, I was able to use the IOPLL IP in the guide as a fix to the issue as well. I wonder why instantiating the IOPLL IP had the same affect for me as setting the IO Standard. I will have to look more into it. Anyway, thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
roeekalinsky
Valued Contributor I

Hi @JackLusenhop ,

Not sure what aspect specifically is giving you trouble, but here's a simple example design that toggles an LED using the 100 MHz clock on the DK-DEV-AGF014EA board.  See attached.

-Roee

0 Kudos
JackLusenhop
Beginner

Hi @roeekalinsky

Thank you so much, the example design worked. I think the issue was that I did not set the I/O Standard to "True Differential Signaling" for the clock in my design. Have a good one!

-Jacob

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

Hi.

Can I get your confirmation if this issue has already been solved on your side?

Is there any more help/support needed from this issue?

Regards,

Aqid

0 Kudos
AqidAyman_Intel
Employee

I hope the previous response was sufficient to help you proceed. As we do not receive any response from you on the previous reply have been provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you by replying to this thread.

0 Kudos