Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20794 Discussions

Drop-in Replacement for the EPM3128ATC100-7N

RickSKE
Beginner

We have been using the EPM3128ATC100-7N for years and it has been discontinued.  We are looking for a form, fit, and function drop-in replacement.  It has to be able to been the same TQFP-100 pin out and dimensions and operate on a single 3.3V supply for the core and I/O.  The speed grade must be 7.4ns or better.  I think the EPM240T100I5N might work, but I am trying to locate all of the information such as pin out of the package.  Any help with a direct replacement is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor II

Well, you are not going to find any fit/form/function compatible device from Intel/Altera these days.
They have basically gotten out of the low end CPLD business. All the MAX parts are obsolete or will be shortly.
And no direct replacements are available.

There is the Atmel/Microchip ATF1508ASV series. Direct F/F/F compatible with the MAX3128A series, and an active production part.
They offer the POF2JED tool that will translate the Altera .pof file to a Microchip .jed file for programming the device.

They offer the same 14mm body TQFP100 package.

The only difference is they only offer 15ns or 20ns speed grades.
So if you really need a 7.5ns speed part (do you really need one that fast? Really?) you are out of luck.

If you want to stay with Intel/Altera there are MAX5/MAX10 series parts that are similar to the MAX3K series,
but there are no parts that are direct substitution. You will have to redesign your board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RickSKE
Beginner

Correction to my post.  Speed must be 7.5ns or better.  Also, I would like an active (not obsolete) part replacement.

0 Kudos
_AK6DN_
Valued Contributor II

Well, you are not going to find any fit/form/function compatible device from Intel/Altera these days.
They have basically gotten out of the low end CPLD business. All the MAX parts are obsolete or will be shortly.
And no direct replacements are available.

There is the Atmel/Microchip ATF1508ASV series. Direct F/F/F compatible with the MAX3128A series, and an active production part.
They offer the POF2JED tool that will translate the Altera .pof file to a Microchip .jed file for programming the device.

They offer the same 14mm body TQFP100 package.

The only difference is they only offer 15ns or 20ns speed grades.
So if you really need a 7.5ns speed part (do you really need one that fast? Really?) you are out of luck.

If you want to stay with Intel/Altera there are MAX5/MAX10 series parts that are similar to the MAX3K series,
but there are no parts that are direct substitution. You will have to redesign your board.

0 Kudos
RickSKE
Beginner

Dear _AK6DN,

Thanks for your prompt reply and info.  As far as the speed grade goes, I will consult with our digital designer to see if we can accept a slower option.  The CPLD is working as part of an engine to read numerous audio files from compact flash, so I do know that speed is a concern, but he is better qualified to than I am to assess it.

Rick

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out. As have been reply by user 'Ak6dn". The reply can be accepted as the answer. Do let me know if you need furthermore assistance.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos
RickSKE
Beginner

Too bad Intel doesn't offer a drop-in replacement!

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I'm sorry for the inconvenience that you are facing.

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Best regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos