Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20747 Discussions

F-tile "Tile Interface planner" not showing legal locations for PCIe Streaming IP

binupr
New Contributor II

Hi,

I have two F-tile PCIe Streaming IPs in my design. I opened "Tile Interface Planner" to place these IPs to corresponding banks. But for some reason when I double click to see the legal locations for these nothing shows up. I am using Quartus 23.4. Has anyone seen this issue?

Attaching screenshot along with this.

Thanks

BPR

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RongYuan
Employee

Hi,

In a PCIe example design, you need to assign pin locations to hip rx/tx pins, e.g. hip_serial_tx_n_out0.

A easy way to assign all PCIe including related pins. You could select the top module, e.g. pcie_ed, then choose one of the legal locations shown as attached pcie_interface_planner_all_pins.png. This will complete all pins as shown in pcie_interface_planner_all_pins2.png.

Regards,

Rong

0 Kudos
binupr
New Contributor II
Hi Rong,

What I mentioned was a custom design and not Intel reference design. I already found the issue. Firstly the issue was that the tile planner didn’t show any legal locations. In my design I didn’t want all to assign all lanes in a PCIE IP. But Quartus doesn’t like it. Hence not showing legal allocations. There must be a way not to use all lanes in an IP. Let me know if you have idea on that.

Btw, I have previously generated intel reference design for PCIe. You don’t have to assign hip tx or rx pins. The generated project already has the pins allocated.

Regards
BPR
0 Kudos
RongYuan
Employee

There must be a way not to use all lanes in an IP.

You mean to assign only partial pins of a 1x16 then use it like that?

The PCIe can be downgraded when host has less lanes. Or you can set PCIe IP to 1x8 to use less lanes.

Regards,

Rong

0 Kudos
RongYuan
Employee

If no further questions about the interface planner, I'll transit this case to community support. Thanks.

0 Kudos