Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20678 Discussions

How to use two USB blaster cable in the same computer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

We want to debug different FPGAs/cplds which are in different JTAG chain at the same time using same computer. And we have several usb blaster cables, but one computer only recognizes one usb cable. So we must change the usb blaster cable's place very often. 

Is it possible to let one computer to recognize different usb blaster cables when they are connected to the PC at the same time?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, I think 2 usb Blaster can be plugged in the same PC. There are distinguished somewhere (In Nios II command line, I could select which USB Blaster I want to use but i didn't try

but because of usb, you are NOT sure that Windows points to the same USB Blaster. 

It may be difficult to check and assign USB Blaster to the good board. 

Other guys talked about multiple USB Blasters in the Altera forum. 

Good luck !
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No problem with two ore more USB blasters on the same PC. The first one connected is called USB-0, the next USB-1 and so on.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If both USB Blaster have the same serial number, it's unpleasant. In this case, you should give one device a different number with the FTDI tool. The topic has been frequently discussed at Altera forum.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

If both USB Blaster have the same serial number, it's unpleasant. In this case, you should give one device a different number with the FTDI tool. The topic has been frequently discussed at Altera forum. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, my supplier makes all USB blasters with a same ID:(.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, my supplier makes all USB blasters with a same ID:(. 

--- Quote End ---  

That doesn't matter. You can use FT_PROG to read the USB-Blaster EEPROM, save it to a template, and then re-write the EEPROMs with new serial numbers. You can even write your name in there if you want, eg., JERRY00, JERRY01, etc. 

Here's the FTDI application: 

http://www.ftdichip.com/support/utilities.htm#ft_prog 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

No problem with two ore more USB blasters on the same PC. The first one connected is called USB-0, the next USB-1 and so on. 

--- Quote End ---  

What kinds usb cable do you used? Altera or local cable?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What kinds usb cable do you used? Altera or local cable? 

--- Quote End ---  

Terasic USB-Blasters, and USB-Blasters embedded on development kits. 

If the USB-Blaster circuit consists of an FTDI FT245BM USB-to-FIFO device, then it has an EEPROM that contains the configuration information. This is what FT_PROG reads, and then allows you to reprogram. 

If you are using a Cypress FX2 clone, then you have to replace the fake EEPROM firmware with updated firmware with a new serial number. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It's OK when i change software to QII 11.1

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It's OK when i change software to QII 11.1 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes. I have Quartus 9.0sp2, 10.1, 11.0, 11.1sp1 installed on one machine and they all recognize the USB-Blasters. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos