Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20793 Discussions

Intel Open FPGA stack

h3l1um
Beginner

Hey all,
I am a beginner in FPGA development and I have never used Quartus before. I'll be building on the N6000-PL card from Intel which does not have any image preinstalled, so I have to use the Intel OFS repo to compile the project and then build the AFU for the card.
Does the Intel OFS need a Linux based system to be compiled?
What are the steps i need to follow if i am to do it in Windows?
Thank you for the help.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
khtan
Employee

Hello,

Yes, you will need Linux based system to compile Intel OFS package.

Unfortunately we don't have any compilation script(eg. OFS - dfl, opae) that supports Windows. Most of the FPGA development tools are solely based on Linux systems. Quartus is available on Windows & Linux though.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

View solution in original post

6 Replies
khtan
Employee

Hello,

Yes, you will need Linux based system to compile Intel OFS package.

Unfortunately we don't have any compilation script(eg. OFS - dfl, opae) that supports Windows. Most of the FPGA development tools are solely based on Linux systems. Quartus is available on Windows & Linux though.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hey,

I started compiling the Open FPGA stack for the N6000 card.
I am not able to compile the project, here is the exact steps i followed.

I want to know if i can compile the project without using any AFU of my own, because i didnt write any RTL yet.

Below is the attached terminal window commands that i used.

khtan
Employee

Hi,

May I know what version of linux(and distribution, eg CentOs, Ubuntu etc) and ofs-fim (+the user guide) that you're using ?

Not sure whether you have access to this user guide : https://github.com/otcshare/intel-ofs-docs/blob/main/n600x/user_guides/ofs_getting_started/ug_qs_ofs_n600x_beta3.md

The error in the log is quite strange, seems the process cannot be terminated 

Info: mem_ss: generate_all_instances: 2024.01.30.23:13:45Starting: Platform Designer system generation
Error: generate_all_instances : INTERNALstill running after destroy
Info: mem_ss: Done "mem_ss" with 2 modules, 1 files
Error: Generation failed with exit code 1: 1 Error, 1 Warning

I would like to know the command that you issue to generate as well.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am using the exact versions as below.

image.png

No I am not able to access the link, Is there some reason for this?

And does the Github repository have all the files required for compilation of the RTL files?

I used this exact command - ./ofs-common/scripts/common/syn/build_top.sh -p n6000 work_n6000

khtan
Employee

Hi, 

Thanks , I saw the guide in the screenshot you provided. Its a more recent updated guide based on RHEL OS instead of the guide that I'm referring with Ubuntu. 

As the error doesn't seems to related to compilation issues, instead it is indicating process cannot be terminated,  I will need to try it out on my end to check what's wrong with it. I will verify with both Ubuntu and Centos first since I've got the systems ready and probably i will try to source one with RHEL as well next week.

The link cannot be access is probably due to permission issues , as the one in github is mostly development and pre-release versions. You can refer to the official release document in opae.github.io. The repository have all the required files to generate out compilation for FIM, I've been using similar repo (the main one instead of customized to agilex7 pcie attached) to build out the files.

Meanwhile do you mind creating a separate forum topic on this and we will continue from there, as unfortunately this forum thread have been marked closed in the system thus it is no longer trackable on my side. Do let me know here on the link as I can directly assigned myself as the case owner.

Thanks

Regards

Kian

Beginner_in_FPGA
New Contributor I

Hi, @khtan 

Here is the new opened forum query for the continued discussion of the issue.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Application-Acceleration-With/Intel-Open-FPGA-Stack-Compilation/m-p/1569168#M2490

Any suggestions as to what I can do next are greatly appreciated.

Thank you