Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20750 Discussions

JTAG error after programming device

Shihang
Novice

Hi,

After programming my Agilex 7 I-series DevKit (DK-DEV-AGI027RBES), Quartus no longer recognizes its JTAG chain.

When I ran the JTAG Chain Debugger, I found the following error:Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 1.22.01 PM.png

Could someone explain the error encountered here and suggest potential fixes? Thanks. 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Could you please explain how did you programmed the device? and how did you confirmed the programming was successful?

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello,

Is this the board you are using now? please confirm so we can provide the correct solution.

link : https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/fpga/development-kits/agilex/agi027.html

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos
xalverti
Beginner

Hello to all, 

We have the exact same error on the exact same device.
And the problem persists even after we do the factory recovery through JTAG.

It happened right after our first attempt to program the FPGA and the Quartus reported a successful programming.

Did you manage to solve this? 

Best Regards,

Chloe

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Do you have any update for this case?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Shihang
Novice

The provided board link is correct.

I'm not sure what the official fix is, but here's what we tried (and worked):

1. Flip SW2 on the board from AVSTx8 (the default setting according to board user guide) to JTAG

2. Power cycle the server and the board

3. Launch Quartus Programmer: the board should be detectable via JTAG

4. Program the board again with a bitstream that is known to work (one of the factory recovery bitstreams)

5. Flip SW2 back to AVSTx8

We suspect the cause of this error is an invalid bitstream. We may have programmed the board with a bitstream generated for another device.

Would love to learn what the recommended fix from Intel is.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your findings with us. Per my observation, you might have overwrite the factory image on the flash and cause the flash to stop working. That is why you are able to use the solutions.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos