Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20735 Discussions

Quartus fails at the Fitter stage, with the following error message. How should I resolve this?"

student8
Novice

Error (170143): Final fitting attempt was unsuccessful
Info (170138): Failed to route the following 2 signal(s)
Info (170139): Signal "tic:tic4|WideOr4~0"
Info (170139): Signal "tic:tic6|stop_delt_flag[1]"
Info (170140): Cannot fit design in device -- following 2 routing resource(s) needed by more than one signal during the last fitting attempt
Info (170141): Routing resource LAB Input (X14_Y8, I16)
Info (170141): Routing resource LAB Input (X14_Y10, I35)
Error (11802): Can't fit design in device. Modify your design to reduce resources, or choose a larger device. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database contains many articles with specific details on how to resolve this error. Visit the Knowledge Database at https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/search.html and search for this specific error message number.
Error: Quartus Prime Fitter was unsuccessful. 2 errors, 70 warnings
Error: Peak virtual memory: 7414 megabytes
Error: Processing ended: Tue Mar 05 17:25:28 2024
Error: Elapsed time: 00:02:21
Error: Total CPU time (on all processors): 00:04:13

I am working on someone else's circuit board and cannot modify the pins or replace the chip。

0 Kudos
15 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Without seeing the code, it's not really possible to understand what is happening here.  Also would be helpful to know what device you're targeting and what version of Quartus you're using.  Basically need more info here. 

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Yes more information needed to figure out this issue. You may check the resource report to see why and what resources are exhausted.

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

Thank you for your reply. The file attached below is the code for the tic module. The purpose of this module is to accurately measure the time interval between the arrivals of two levels. Could you advise on how to optimize the code to improve timing and layout? The rest of the project files are proprietary to the company and cannot be released.

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

LCA4 is a 4-bit carry-lookahead adder.

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

"I don't know if this is related. I observed in the chip planner that all the logic layout is concentrated in the bottom left corner, leaving many resources unused, yet my pins are distributed on three sides. Congestion occurs even when there are still many resources remaining."

The image below is a report of routing utilization.

student8_1-1709980056196.png

The blue areas in the image below represent the pins I have actually allocated.

student8_0-1709979643653.png
Can routing failures be resolved by optimizing the code without changing the timing constraints?

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

I found that changing the initial placement seed seems to solve the problem. However, I still want to know how to avoid this issue by modifying the code?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

What device is this and what speed are you trying to run at?  Do you have a .sdc and are you meeting all timing requirements?

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

I am using the Cyclone V 5CGXFC5C6F23C6. The code for the SDC file is in the attached file.Although I named it as a 500M clock, I actually reduced the frequency to 400M in practice. This can be seen in the SDC file.

By changing the seed to a specific value, after the compilation passes, there are timing violations.

The setup time violation is about 0.6ns.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

You can check whether the clock frequency in your design is relatively high, and whether there are signals with large fan-out and large data bit widths. These factors can lead to concentrated routing

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

Thank you for your reply.

My data has a maximum bit width of 40 bits. I am not sure if this is considered wide data. Moreover, from the fitter report, there are no large fan-outs except for the clock signal. If there is a way to view all fan-out situations from other locations, please let me know.

student8_0-1710324214797.png

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

You may try to disable the "optimize timing" setting in Advanced Setting (Fitter) and see if it will help the routing process.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Hi there, is there any updates on this?

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

Thank you for your reply. I tried your suggestion, and it indeed helped with the layout and routing, making some previously unsuccessful routings successful. However, it worsened the timing. This might be an area where a trade-off is necessary.

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Yes, indeed. Additionally, 400M is somewhat high for Cyclone V, making it challenging to meet both layout and timing requirements simultaneously

0 Kudos
TingJiangT_Intel
Employee

Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

0 Kudos