Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

Stratix 10 MCDMA host: Queue reset failed

Arnab1
Beginner

Hello,

I have been trying to get an MCDMA example design working on a Stratix 10 MX device (1SM21BEU2F55E2VG). You can consider me a beginner with the Intel FPGAs. The project details are as follows.

Device side

-----------------
Project:

Platform designer project with H-tile PCIe MCDMA with AVMM interface.

PCIe configuration - Gen3x16 512-bit interface, 250 MHz

No of PFs - 1

Everything else is set to default, as this is a slightly modified version of the basic example design generated by Quartus.

refclk - connected to differential PCIe clock PCIE_REFCLK_P and PCIE_REFCLK_N

pin_perst - connected to PCIe PERST#

npor - tied to 1 in the top level wrapper Verilog module

xcvr - PCIe interface

The top-level wrapper only instantiates this, sets npor to 1, and passes every other signals.
The hip_ctrl and hip_pipe are left unconnected in the wrapper.

The design compiles properly, and the sof file can be programmed without error.

-----------------------

Host side

----------------------- 

On the host side, I followed the steps mentioned in the MCDMA example user guide.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683517/23-4/introduction.html

The device is listed the lspci output and shows up the BAR regions.

However, when I try to run any of the test programs in the software/user/cli, nothing runs successfully (this driver and user utilities/examples are also generated as part of the example MCDMA project). Most of the time the error is "Queue reset failed" or the programs hang without any output. Reading device memory via the supplied devmem utility always returns 0xFFFFFFFF. My guess is something wrong with the reset logic/process, however I am unable to fix it so far and it feels like I am missing something obvious. Any lead in this regard would be helpful. Let me know if you need more information in this context.

Thanks and regards,
Arnab

0 Kudos
5 Replies
VenTingT
Employee

Hi @Arnab1,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

May I know which MCDMA Avalon-MM DMA Design Example and driver you are using? With SRIOV support enabled? There are multiple of MCDMA Design Examples, and each variant of the MCDMA design example is supported by specific driver only. Please make sure that the driver used is appropriate.

Can you please make sure the prerequisites and software setup for the selected driver are performed according to the steps outlined in the User Guide?

Next, what are the test programs you performed from the User Guide? It would be helpful if you could screenshot the commands you entered and errors you encountered to help us better narrow down the issue.

Regarding the host side (lspci_output.png), the link speed appears to be downgraded from (Gen 3) 8 GT/s to 2.5 GT/s. Can you please check if the host PCIe settings are able to support Gen 3?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

VenTingT

0 Kudos
Arnab1
Beginner

Dear VenTingT,

Thank you for your reply. I am providing the information below that you have requested for. I have also attached the screenshots of relevant configuration/outputs that could provide more insight into the issue.

I am using "H-Tile Multichannel DMA Intel FPGA IP for PCI Express" on Stratix 10 MX device (1SM21BEU2F55E2VG). I generated the example design simply by clicking on the "Generate Example Design" button, which generated the Quartus project files (named pcie_ed.qar) and the software codes containing the kernel and user codes. You can find all IP configuration details in the screenshots.

MCDMA_PD_Diagram.PNG

SRIOV was disabled. I wanted to have a bare minimum working MCDMA - AVMM design.

I understand. In this case, I was using the kernel+user code that was generated along with the Quartus example design files (present in the software directory).

Generated_files.PNG

I followed the steps that are mentioned here - https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683517/23-4/quick-start-guide.html

I followed this for the BIOS configuration + setting up hugepages + loading uio + compiling and loading ifc_uio driver process, and I did not see any error here.

For the tests, I started with the devmem utility and simple_app examples. I have attached the screenshots. However, not much debug info/error info is available, and there is nothing in the kernel log too. Same goes for the examples too.

devmem_output.PNG

c1945dca-390d-42f8-bc54-bd84c1ab8704.png

sample_output.PNG

I noticed that, but chose to continue despite that. The server supports PCIe Gen3 (and Gen4 too), and the link configuration is set to automatic. If needed, I can fix that to Gen3; let me know.

Let me know if you need any further information in this regard. Thanks!

Kind regards,
Arnab

0 Kudos
VenTingT
Employee

Hi @Arnab1,

Thank you for attaching the screenshots.

May I know are you using the MCDMA custom driver?

Besides, for the devmem utility, are you trying to perform the IP reset as in the Step 4. of Section 3.5.2.3.3.? The command you entered seems different from the one specified in the IP reset step.

It is suggested to change the host PCIe support to Gen3 which follows the design. Could you try to perform the tests again after the changes made?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

VenTingT

0 Kudos
VenTingT
Employee

Hi @Arnab1,

May I know if you have any updates?

Thanks.

Best Regards,

VenTingT

0 Kudos
VenTingT
Employee

Hi @Arnab1,

We have not received any response from you on the previous reply that we provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you.

After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support.

The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions.

If you feel your support experience was less than a 9 or 10, please allow me to correct it before closing, or please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future support experience.

Thanks.

Best Regards,

VenTingT

0 Kudos