Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20713 Discussions

USB Blaster Problem

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recently purchased the Cyclone II FPGA Starter Kit, but am unable to get the USD Blaster to work. The Quartus software is all installed, and I can write my code. When I plug in my board all of the 7-segs and LEDs light up like they are supposed to. I can't use JTAG to run my code on the board, though, because I don't have USB Blaster. Should this be on the CDs that came in my kit?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I recently purchased the Cyclone II FPGA Starter Kit, but am unable to get the USD Blaster to work. 

--- Quote End ---  

This kit? 

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc2-2c20n.html 

Can you please see what the Windows device manager or Linux lsusb reports the USB-Blaster as. Sometimes these boards get shipped with the USB-Blaster not programmed correctly (blank EEPROM), and so you need to program it. 

I've posted the USB-Blaster images in this thread: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43986 

You just need to download FT_PROG from the FTDI web site, use it to detect the USB-Blaster device (FT245B or FT245R), then apply the appropriate XML file, and program the device. Unplug and plug the USB-Blaster in, install the Altera driver, and you'll be all set! 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you are on Windows then the most likely reason this is not working is because you haven't installed the kernel mode drivers for it. Open the device manager and you should see the USB blaster under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".  

If this isn't there then you will probably have an unknown device - right click and look at properties; in the details tab look at the hardware IDs. For USB-Blaster you should see something like USB\VID_09fb&PID_6001. Once you have found the Unknown device go to the driver tab, select update driver and point to the correct folder under your installed quartus/drivers to get the right driver installed. 

If you are on Linux then run lsusb to try and find your cable (again, the ID will be 09FB:6001). Check that you have installed the udev patch which sets the port permissions for the cable, after that it should just work.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I found USB Blaster under "other devices" and was able to install the drivers. Thanks very much for the help!!

0 Kudos