Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20764 Discussions

When I power cycle (on-->off-->on) the FPGA it losses *.sof file

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm new in FPGAs. Look, after generating and programming the .sof file to the FPGA it works as expected, but as soon as the power is off and then on again nothing happens. I mean I have to program it again to make the FPGA working. Any suggestion? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This is normal. You need to program the connected flash device if you want it to program the FPGA on power on. FPGAs have no internal configuration storage, so they need to be configured every time they are powered on (unless it's a MAX device, which is flash based so does store its own configuration). 

So what is the device, and have you tried programming the flash?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi Tricky, I'm using cyclone III in a starter kit. I know the kit has an external flash, is that you are talking about? And if so, how do i program that flash? Furthermore, every design that contains a FPGA needs an external flash?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

And if so, how do i program that flash? 

--- Quote End ---  

It's well explained in the kit documentation as far as I remember. 

--- Quote Start ---  

Furthermore, every design that contains a FPGA needs an external flash? 

--- Quote End ---  

A flash or another means to load the configuration, e.g. a processor.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi FvM, 

You're right thanks, I found how to do it in the "Cyclone III FPGA Starter Kit User Guide" and after following its instructions the programming fails. On Quartus II message window shows: 

Error (209062): Flash Loader IP not loaded on device 1 

Error (209053): Unexpected error in JTAG server -- error code 5 

Error (209012): Operation failed 

Any suggestion?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi , 

I have nearly the same error message and I found out that it has something to do with the USB-Blaster. 

If you are running on Windows there is this solution 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd01102012_443.html?gsa_pos=1&wt.oss_r=1&wt.oss=error%20%28209062%29 

when you go the command line 

Right now I am runing on Linux with the same error message and have no idea what to do to get rid of this messages
0 Kudos