Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20792 Discussions

Why does fitting fail when there are still resources available?

student8
Novice

Layout and routing resources are still available, but layout fails.

student8_0-1705545320455.png

The Quartus error is as follows:

Error (170143): Final fitting attempt was unsuccessful
Info (170138): Failed to route the following 2 signal(s)
Info (170139): Signal "tic:tic0|Add3~1"
Info (170139): Signal "tic:tic0|WideOr2~2"
Info (170140): Cannot fit design in device -- following 2 routing resource(s) needed by more than one signal during the last fitting attempt
Info (170141): Routing resource LAB Input (X48_Y30, I17)
Info (170141): Routing resource LAB Input (X48_Y30, I48)

Error (11802): Can't fit design in device. Modify your design to reduce resources, or choose a larger device. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database contains many articles with specific details on how to resolve this error. Visit the Knowledge Database at https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/knowledge-base/search.html and search for this specific error message number.

What are the possible reasons for fitting failure?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III

Hi,
fitting failure with a rather low resource utilisation indicates that your design sets special constraints that can't be fulfilled by Quartus. Can be e.g. incompatible  location assignments or WYSIWYG primitives. 

Unlikely to happen in regular design.

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

Thank you for your response. I am debugging an FPGA chip embedded in a fixed development board, and I cannot arbitrarily change pin assignments; the input and output pins are fixed. I would like to ask how to modify the code or change software settings to make the fitter pass in this situation. For example, how should I resolve the following error?

Info (170140): Cannot fit design in device -- following 2 routing resource(s) needed by more than one signal during the last fitting attempt

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

You probably need to check some assignment location set up that is illegal to fitter. That might be the reason and change it accordingly

0 Kudos
student8
Novice

Thank you for your response. I am debugging an FPGA chip embedded in a fixed development board, and I cannot arbitrarily change pin assignments; the input and output pins are fixed. I would like to ask how to modify the code or change software settings to make the fitter pass in this situation. For example, how should I resolve the following error?

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

You'd have to show some code.  Something is making the fitter think the two signals need to use the exact same resource, which is very odd.  Show code and any unique assignments you may have in the Assignment Editor or Pin Planner.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

Let me know if there is any update

0 Kudos
SyafieqS
Employee

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to https://supporttickets.intel.com/, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from community or Intel support are helpful, please feel free to mark as solution, give Kudos and rate 5/5 survey

0 Kudos