Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20777 Discussions

pof,sof checksum displayed by Quartus II programmer

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm looking for a way to verify a pof or sof file's checksum from an MSDOS shell command line. Is there an existing app? I've familiarized myself with the file structure of pof files so that I can create a checksum app, but I don't know what checksum method is used by the Quartus II programming tool. I also don't know what area(s) of the pof file are checksum'ed. I'm newly familiar with the quartus_pgm.exe app, but did not see an option to read pof file or device checksums. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've since found the answer to my question, so here it is for those who may be interested. The info was gleaned from the Altera Quartus II Scripting Reference Manual and experimentation. 

summary: 

Using Altera's JAM tools, you can program/verify Altera devices from the command line. pof/sof file checksums are displayable via command line options. Non-Altera devices in the JTAG chain may be identified via their associated BSDL files. After some experimentation, it seems that a JAM file must be created for each individual device to be programmed/verified, at least when using the Altera devices below, one of which is EEPROM based (EPM240), the other SRAM based (EP2S60). 

Sample JTAG chain containing the following devices:
  • "IDCODE" = "181D2021, 1236039B, 10104083, 8001A1B3, 8001A1B3, 020A10DD, 120930DD" 

• "DEVICE" = "PEX8111BB, PCI9056BA, PEF22554E, GS8642Z18B, GS8642Z18B, EPM240, EP2S60"
creating a jam file for jtag chains containing altera and non-altera devices: 

The following describes an example where a pof file is to be programmed into an Altera EPM240. 

Upon "Auto Detect" of the JTAG chain, the non-Altera devices will appear with device names such as "unknown_12345678". The numeric digits represent the device ID codes. In order for Quartus to be able to create a jam file for the chain, BSDL files have to be associated with each non-Altera device as follows:
  • After auto detecting the JTAG chain and associated devices, left-click on the EPM240 device. 

• Right-click on the same device and select "Change File" from the context menu. Browse to and select the associated pof file. A checksum should appear on this line which will match the checksum that appears when later using the quartus_jli command line tool with the newly created JAM file. 

• Left-click on one of the "unknown" devices. Right-click on the same device and select "Change Device" from the context menu. 

• In the "Device family" list, "User Defined" should be selected. 

• In the "Device name" list, one of the "unknown" devices may be selected. 

• Click on the "Import" button. At the "Import User Device" dialog, click on the "…" button. 

• Set "File of type" to "Boundary Scan Description Language" and browse to the location of the BSDL file corresponding to the device. This device type will now appear in the "Device name" list. Select this device. 

• Repeat the previous six steps for each of the other "unknown" devices. 

• From Quartus' main screen, select "File => Create JAM, SVF, or ISC file". 

• Enter the desire location and name in the "File name" field (example: BoardName_7_devices_pof.jam). 

• "File format" should be set to "JEDEC STAPL Format (.jam)". Press the "OK" button.
using the jam file (example command line strings):
  • quartus_jli -i BoardName_7_devices_pof.jam // displays JAM file info 

• quartus_jli BoardName_7_devices_pof.jam -a program // programs/verifies EPM240 device; -a <action> is the action to be performed
more info:
  • Executing the command string quartus_jli -i filename.jam should produce the actions which the JAM file is capable of performing, but this result did not occur during experimentation. Searching the JAM file (plain ascii text) for the string ACTION will list all available actions. Each action also has associated procedures. These may enabled or disabled with -e or -d. Procedures that are designated as RECOMMENDED in the JAM file appear to execute without enabling them. Procedures that are designated as OPTIONAL need to be enabled is it is desired to execute them. 

• quartus_jli produces return codes which may be used to determine success of the command. These are listed on page 2-95 of the Altera Quartus II Scripting Reference Manual.
0 Kudos
leon73
Beginner

bonjour jais examiner avec jtag ma puce altera max epm240 je lis le pof mes il reste vide j’ais converit en fichier jam et jbc je reprogrammer ma puce avec succes mes mon projet ne fonctione plus aide moi mercis jais perdu tourt mes fichier car jais du formater mon pc quelque chosse ne vas pas dans ces fichier mon adresse email leondevil33@hotmail.com

0 Kudos