Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

usb blaster debugging

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I have the following situation. 

Environment: Linux Fedora 18, 64 bits. My Linux recognizes my Cable, I'm able to find it via Quartus II and via jtagd + jtagconfig. 

Problem is: after the first query (either via jtagconfig or via Quartus), the cable goes offline (i.e the red light ACT is turned off and if I sent a jtagconfig again it doesn't find my FPGA). However if I disconnect the cable and connect it again, I'm able to find my FPGA. If I then try one more time to query my FPGA (actually send any command. I was able for example to download my bitstream into my FPGA) it goes offline again and I have to disconnect and connect it again.. 

does anybody had this kind of problem? any idea about how to troubleshoot it? 

EDIT 

If I connect my cable on my computer. "ACT" light is red. I open my Quartus, go to Tools > JTAG Chain Debugger, then I choose my hardware I click on "Test JTAG Chain"  

and I get the log: 

!Info: JTAG chain connection is good. Detected 1 device(s) 

!Info: Device 1: EP3C40/EP4CE(30|40) (USERCODE: 0xFFFFFFFF) 

However, the act light is now off and If I try again to test it, I get an error "Chain is in use". If I remove from the USB and insert it again, the USB blaster's ACT led lights back and I'm able to fire the same test.. but then after it goes off again.. any idea? 

I tried to post a picture from my cable, but i dont have permission (yet) to add link to my posts. But my cable is one if two lights: power and act
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What brand of USB-Blaster are you using? 

None of the "official" versions have a red LED. The Altera USB-Blaster and Terasic USB-Blaster have blue LEDs that are on when the output enable bit in the USB-Blaster protocol is set. 

Cheers, 

Dave
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

unfortunately I'm still not able to post pictures, but I think almost all hobbyst users, don't buy a $300 cable, right? 

p.s link to the cable http://www.haoyuelectronics.com/Attachment/USB%20Blaster/usb_blaster_1.jpg
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

What brand of USB-Blaster are you using? 

None of the "official" versions have a red LED. The Altera USB-Blaster and Terasic USB-Blaster have blue LEDs that are on when the output enable bit in the USB-Blaster protocol is set. 

Cheers, 

Dave 

--- Quote End ---  

a made in china. I tried to post a picture, but I think it went to moderation (now I'm allowed to add link, but my posts with link are simply gone :))
0 Kudos