Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2063 Discussions

A new added disk have a state: Lock and utilisation: Unknown, so unable to adding it to a Raid 5

bretonv
Beginner

I needed to move from Raid 1 to Raid 5.  So I buy a new disk like the 2 others, connect it to SATA  and I delete the volume Raid 1,  but when I try to do the Raid 5, the new disk is unavailable because it is Lock.  It's a brand new disk just 2 months older than the 2 others.

I show here the description of 1 normal disk and of the Lock one.  I bold what is not the same info on the 2 disks.

Capture d’écran 2022-07-29 015537.png

Capture d’écran 2022-07-29 015412.png

The lock disk is not used by Windows 11 (21H2) as we can see in disk manager.

Capture d’écran 2022-07-29 020151.png

I unformat the disk with Diskpart (clean) just to be sure the disk is clean but the Lock still there.  I have an other Raid 5 in the system made with 3 old disk and I have no problem to do it.  I have the same problem event if I try to do the Raid 5 in the BIOS.

I hope, if I need tom replace a defect disk in a RAID in the future, it will not be so complex...

The version of Intel raid is:

Capture d’écran 2022-07-29 020616.png

I don't know where is the problem ?  Help, please.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

bretonv, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we will do further research on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the 3 disks being used?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
bretonv
Beginner

What is the model of the 3 disks being used?

• Nom du modèle: WD Red Pro NAS HDD
    Numéro de modèle: WDC WD4003FFBX-68MU3N0
    Révision SATA: Gen3
    Vitesse du lien SATA: 6.0 Gb/s
    tr/min: 7200
    LBA maximale: 7814037167
    IEEE OUI: 0ccah
    Alignement 4K: Non

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

• At home

Attach the SSU report

• Included

Thanks

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

bretonv, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Just to let you know, we only provide support in English language and currently, we are using a translation tool.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello bretonv, I just received an update on this matter.

The following are the steps to unlock a disk, if a disk is locked there is no way to build a volume.

• Under "Status’ or ‘Manage", in the storage system view, click the disk you want to unlock. The disk properties are now displayed on the left.
  • Click "Unlock".
  • Enter the password, and then click "Unlock".

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello bretonv, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello bretonv, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

As an option, you can also get in contact directly with the manufacturer of the disk to verify if they have a tool to monitor the health of the device:

https://www.westerndigital.com/support

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos