Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2046 Discussions

Intel RST driver 12.6.0.1033 not saving cache mode

twalk5
Beginner

I've tested this with version 12.5.0.1066 and the latest 12.6.0.1033 for windows 8, the system has the express chipset

when I restart my system, the RAID array performance settings are reverting back to a default mode with:

- write-cache buffer flushing: enabled

- cache mode: none

when I have set the system for:

- write-cache buffer flushing: disabled

- cache mode: write back

after rebooting the system defaults (as noted above), I have to open the RST application, disabled flushing and re-enabled the cache mode... otherwise performance is terrible...

is there a workaround to this, or something in the registry that needs to be cleared or modified?

thanks!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Fred_D_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
twalk5
Beginner

unfortunately, I do not think this will be possible on it..

baseboard: GA8-IBLV

BIOS: AMI, 4.6.4

system uses UEFI... so if you know where Intel puts that bios update for that board, that could be solution.

0 Kudos
twalk5
Beginner

hi, is there any updates to this or any ideas on how to correct or set these properties permanently in registry?

anyone else seen this behavior?

0 Kudos
MCocq
Beginner

Hi, I'm seeing the same behavior with the same version of RST after upgrading my motherboard and CPU. I'm Using an ASRock Z87 Extreme6 with a raid5 array.

Any help appreciated!

P.S. The password requirements for registering here are ridiculous.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Could you please clarify if you refer to the disk/volume-write back cache or to the Intel® Smart Response technology acceleration cache?

0 Kudos
MCocq
Beginner

Well I'm not 100% clear on the terminology, but there are two caches, both configured through the Intel RST app, which lose their settings each reboot.

One is under "manage array" and is called "disk data cache". It has two settings, enabled and disabled. I set it to enabled but it resets to disabled each time I reboot.

The other is under "manage volume -> advanced" and is labelled "cache mode" - you can select write-back, write-through, read only or off. It is returning to "off" after I set it as "write back".

Hope that clarifies

0 Kudos
twalk5
Beginner

I can confirm that this is for volume write-back cache mode... system is defaulting to "none" after being enabled and the system rebooted. not optimal performance.

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

That type of issue has been reported before and it has been addressed correcting the configuration settings on the operating system, this is not caused by Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology.

You may refer to this thread as a reference for the troubleshooting you can follow:

/thread/12381 http://communities.intel.com/thread/12381

Some others have reported that if you need to check the "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on the device" option on Policies tab in the RAID volume properties (Disk Management> Computer Management > Device Manager > Disk Drives.

Also check on policies to see that "Enable write caching on the disk" is checked and that "Enable advanced performance" is also checked.

Keep in mind that when using that type of cache, an UPS should be used and that the operating system may disable this cache feature, if an UPS is not present, which switches back to write-through

0 Kudos
MCocq
Beginner

Hi Diego, thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure that the thread you pointed me to has the solution though.

I can enable write-back caching without any problem (the turn off buffer flushing is ticked in the device manager) - it's just that the setting doesn't stick when I reboot.

Also I'm not sure where to find "Enable write caching on the disk" and "Enable advanced performance".

I do have a UPS too

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The thing is that it is not Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology what makes the settings persistent. The operating system's settings and policies or hard drives options are what will make the settings to remain through updates.

0 Kudos
MCocq
Beginner

Well that seems a bit screwy, seeing as the Intel(arrrrr!) software is the only place to configure this setting...

Also I never had this problem with my previous P35 chipset motherboard - it's only since a recent upgrade that has seen this problem...

It must be a marginal thing though, specific to particular setups, as I would have thought more people would have the same problem.

0 Kudos
twalk5
Beginner

ok, yes.. in device manager settings for the disk array you can set this property. I will try setting in this manner instead of via Intel toolset to see if after reboot the properties stick.

0 Kudos