Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

Intel RST drivers for ICH8R

MBenc2
Novice

Dear community & supporter,

my Vista Ultimate 64 bit crash each time after successful booting/login.

Mostly crash by Vista update, it's mean as soon the RAID 10 (2x250 GB) come under workload.

My hardware: Asus P5b Deluxe WiFi solo (BIOS set to RAID and never change).

The only thing I change after last new fresh install is the dual-boot with Kubuntu.

In order to exclude the cause step by step I would install the best/recommended RST driver for the ICH8.

Can you provide me the direct link to this driver?

Should I install the driver in safe-mode?

Thank in advance and best regards.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Arny006 schrieb:

Mostly crash by Vista update, it's mean as soon the RAID 10 (2x250 GB) come under workload.

Since a RAID10 requires 4 drives at least, I would like to know, if you really have created a RAID array and - if yes - which sort of RAID.

Arny006 schrieb:

In order to exclude the cause step by step I would install the best/recommended RST driver for the ICH8.

Can you provide me the direct link to this driver?

Should I install the driver in safe-mode?

The Intel RAID Driver, which I recommend for your system, is the RST v11.2.0.1006 WHQL. You can download just the 64bit driver or the complete Drivers & Software Set from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21854&keyword=11.2.0.1006&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Download Center

Nevertheless I suspect, that your problems may not be caused by the RAID Driver, but by the version of the Intel RAID ROM, which is within the BIOS of your mainboard. It should be v10.x.x.xxxx or higher until v11.2.0.1527 (best choice).

Tip: Ask ASUS for a BIOS with an updated Intel RAID ROM module or do it yourself (look here: http://www.win-raid.com/ http://www.win-raid.com/).

MBenc2
Novice

Dear Fernando,

thanks at first for your answer. I did a mistake in writing, of course are 4x250 GB Hitachi in RAID 10 (0+1 effectively). I used the same RAID (Type, Hardware & Software) in three different Vista Ultimate installation. Only by last one have I these difficulties.

The installed BIOS (from Asus) is already latest 1238 but, I suppose, with legacy RAID-ROM. One attempt (in the past) to update ROM-File was unsuccessful cause of space deficiency by a RAID-ROM-file 84,5KiB. Even the delete of old RAID-ROM file and Logo-file don't allow me to insert/include the new one. The new version I downloaded is 119 KiB.

Don't remember anymore which applications are needed in addition for make the job.

Due the already under RAID installed Vista, do I need to reinstall the OS?

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Arny006 schrieb:

The installed BIOS (from Asus) is already latest 1238 but, I suppose, with legacy RAID-ROM. One attempt (in the past) to update ROM-File was unsuccessful cause of space deficiency by a RAID-ROM-file 84,5KiB. Even the delete of old RAID-ROM file and Logo-file don't allow me to insert/include the new one.

I just have done a deeper look into the latest BIOS 1238 for your mainboard. It contains the extremely old Intel MSM RAID ROM v6.1.0.1002, which will not work very well with any of the the actual Intel RST Drivers.

Furthermore I have tested to update the Intel RAID ROM of the BIOS to v10.1.0.1008 - and succeeded! I was even able to replace the Intel MSM RAID ROM v6.1.0.1002 by the Intel RST RAID ROM v11.2.0.1527.

All I had to do is to delete the OEM Logo and to save the BIOS file afterwords. After reopening the BIOS with the MMTool v3.26 I didn't have any problem to replace the old MSM RAID ROM by a much more actual and bigger sized Intel RST one.

Arny006 schrieb:

Due the already under RAID installed Vista, do I need to reinstall the OS?

This is what I recommend to do after having flashed the updated BIOS into the BIOS chip of your mainboard. Don't forget to do a backup of your data before you are going to flash the updated BIOS.

0 Kudos
MBenc2
Novice

Dear Fernando, thanks for your answer.

I trust you more than my ability to modify the BIOS-ROM-File (as said(experienced).

Can you send me the modified BIOS-ROM-File?

The version you mentioned is exact the one I download (Intel_RST_RAID_ROM_v11.2.0.1527) , Intel Matrix Software I installed is version 11-2-0-1006 Intel original.

Due the presence of Kubuntu 12.04 64 Bit on the second half of the RAID 10, do you mean i should reinstall/clean install also the Linux OS?

Thanks again and best regards from Munich

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Arny006 schrieb:

Dear Fernando, thanks for your answer.

I trust you more than my ability to modify the BIOS-ROM-File (as said(experienced).

Can you send me the modified BIOS-ROM-File?

Hello Arny006,

here is the link to the modded BIOS: http://sdrv.ms/16b2qPJ http://sdrv.ms/16b2qPJ

This is what I have done:

1. Deletion of the OEM Logo file

2. Update of the Intel RAID ROM to v11.2.0.1527.

You may flash the BIOS at own risk. I cannot give you a guarantee, that your existing RAID10 will work fine with the updated Intel RAID ROM module. Maybe you have to break the old RAID and to create a brandnew RAID10 array using the updated Intel RAID ROM Utility by hitting CTRL+I while booting..

Before you are going to flash the updated BIOS, don't forget to save your important data and to store somewhere the original (untouched) BIOS file (just for an emergency case).

After having flashed the updated BIOS you will have to restore your current BIOS settings. So it will be a good idea to write down your current settings.

The first step after having flashed the BIOS is to set the Intel SATA Controller to "RAID", to save this setting, to reboot and to enter the BIOS again. Then your existing RAID hopefully will be detected and you can do the other settings (boot order etc.).

For further details regarding the BIOS flash please read the chapter "Flashing the modded BIOS into the mainboard BIOS Chip" of this thread: http://www.win-raid.com/t12f16-Guide-AMI-non-UEFI-BIOS-Modding.html http://www.win-raid.com/t12f16-Guide-AMI-non-UEFI-BIOS-Modding.html

Good luck!

Fernando

0 Kudos
MBenc2
Novice

Dear Fernando,

after many tries was I able to modify the ROM-file indeed

1) delete the "OEM Logo" file and store the ROM-File.

2) Just replace the 8086-2822. No delete first here.

maybe useful for some other users.

Nevertheless, the question about the dual-/multi-boot still actual

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

@ Arny006:

I have done exactly the same as you have done now, that means, that I have replaced the old Intel RAID ROM by the newer one instead of deleting the old and inserting the new module.

Since I don't know for sure, if your existing RAID10 will be detected by the updated Intel RAID ROM Utility and will work 100%, I am not able to answer your question regarding the availability of your current dual/multi-boot system after having flashed the updated BIOS.

The safest method would be the following procedure:

1. Backup your current partitions and store it outside the RAID.

2. Break the existing RAID10 by using the Intel Matrix Manager Utility.

3. Flash the modded BIOS and enable "RAID".

4. Create a new RAID10 by using the Intel Rapid Storage v11,2.0.1527 RAID Utility..

0 Kudos
MBenc2
Novice

Dear Fernando,

thanks again for your patience. I preferred to download your BIOS-ROM-file and store it on SD-card together with iasor.sys (floppy-file) on other PC/notebook cause of BSoD. BIOS-update done with EZFLASH 2 already existing in the BIOS, need just ROM-file.

First attemp done without (at prior) breack the RAID 10, the OS start normally but continue to have BSoD. So/hence the problem was on the OS and not in RAID-ROM.

Second attemp done like you suggest adding antivirus on SD-card and disconnect all USB, RJ45 and additional HDDs.

The difficult I encounter was that POST stop by recognizing sata-connections, that let assume BIOS is not working, even entering BIOS was not possible.

Google helped me. Some motherboards, like mines, remember the drive from which booted (once) and continue to try boot from them. That's not worse but changing automatically in BIOS the boot-sequence is worse enough and lead to stop POST.

Long story short: If after BIOS-update and rebuild RAID the PC stop at POST, no panic, disconnect all data-cables from RAID-drives. That allow you to enter BIOS and change the bootsequence setting RAID boot first, reconnect cables and boot USB, SD-card and/or CD/DVD through F8 and install the OS.

Enjoy. Just would thank you again. Hope my experience can help other user.

Best regards.

P.s.: OS is now installed and work perfect. I split the RAID 10 in two partitions, one for Vista (already installed) and one for W7 (coming soon)

Are there also drivers for other (JB36x) sata-controller?

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Hello Arny,

congratulations for having solved all your problems and thank you very much for your interesting report, which may help other users as well.

It makes me happy, that you got the updated RAID configuration flawlessly running at least and that I was able to help you.

Since your question obviously has been answered, you may check this point within your start post.

Arny006 schrieb:

Are there also drivers for other (JB36x) sata-controller?

You can find the newest non-Intel AHCI and RAID drivers here: http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers.html http://www.win-raid.com/t29f25-Recommended-AHCI-and-RAID-Drivers.html

Best regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
MBenc2
Novice

Dear Fernando,

Thanks again, it's a pleasure to exchange with you.

Sadly was not able to download the drivers from your linked address but I found the ftp-link of manufacturer with drivers and "option-ROM"-file, here is:

ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/ ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/

available drivers for DOS, Windows and Linux + ROM-module-file

maybe can help someone

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Arny006 schrieb:

Sadly was not able to download the drivers from your linked address

What exactly was your problem while trying to download any linked file?

Have you seen, that there is an alternative download link (shown as >MIRROR<) for each file?

Another question: Why haven't you set your topic as been solved? Is there anything regarding the Intel RST driver, which should be further on investigated?

Regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
MBenc2
Novice

Dear Fernando,

both links just don't react, sorry.

To mark the thread as solved should I click "probably solved"?

By the way, finish to install all additional application in Vista, now will I disconnect again the not necessary device and start Installation of Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Can you kindly post me the direct link of "F6" and "Intel Rapid Storage-Technology" drivers?

Or do you mean is better to use the same of Vista?

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

Arny006 schrieb:

both links just don't react, sorry.

Click onto the "MIRROR" link, do a right click onto the file you want to download and choose the "Download" option. That should work.

Arny006 schrieb:

Can you kindly post me the direct link of "F6" and "Intel Rapid Storage-Technology" drivers?

Or do you mean is better to use the same of Vista?

Why would you prefer different drivers for Win7?

If you do not succeed with the download links I gave you, I will send you other ones via eMail. Please write me via eMail (mailto:fernando.uno@gmail.com fernando.uno@gmail.com), which drivers with which architecture (32/64bit) and which versions you need.

Have fun with your updated system!

Regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
MBenc2
Novice

Sorry for the misunderstanding,

I installed in Vista the 11-2-0-1006 Intel original for ICH8R and would ask you if it's better to use the same version for Win 7 due the fact that both OS sharing the same RAID 0+1 or if you propose something else. The architecture is the same 64 bit.

In that case (something else) tell me which your preferable solution with links (if possible).

Thanks and sorry again.

0 Kudos
DZand
Valued Contributor I

@ Arny006:

According to my knowledge and experience the Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 is the best RAID driver you can get for your ICH8R system. My advice to install this driver has nothing to do with the fact, that you have a dual boot system and that both Operating Systems are using the same RAID0+1 array.

If you have any further questions or want any driver or OROM link, please send me an eMail.

0 Kudos