Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

RAID1 problem on W10-64bit, KBL, Z270

idata
Employee

Configuration is as follows: 2 WD Black disks (2 TB each) in RAID1 configuration on Asus Prime Z270 MB with i7700 CPU.

Most of the time the RAID config is rebuilding because somehow1 of the disks "dropped" out of the RAID.

Disks are new and are fine (according to SMART). Driver version for Intel RST is 15.5.0.1051.

I noticed that my disks are always detected as a complete array when booting from a power-off situation (cold boot).

A warm boot causes failures like one or both disks of the RAID not being detected.

On this forum I see a lot of simular problems, and I also noticed some "known-issue" in the release note of the RST-driver

stating that in RAID1 disk are detached (which of course causes the rebuild of the array in the event the disk is attached later on).

See >>>>> 1804327901, RAID1 system will hang, detaching one of HDDs configured RAID volume, windows_10_th_desktop_x64 <<<<<<<</span>

When will this problem be fixed by Intel? It currently renders my (and a lot of other peoples) machine useless.

Kind Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello edraket,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I'm sorry about the issue with the RAID 1.

The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology has been tested and we haven't experience this issue in our Labs.

At this point, I strongly recommend updating the chipset driver and the BIOS, make sure they are up to date. You can download them here:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-A/HelpDesk/ https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-Z270-A/HelpDesk/

NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Does this happen just now or you system worked fine before and now you're seeing this behavior?

Is it the same drive that keeps dropping out, or different ones at random?

Have you check the SATA cables? Try testing with different SATA cables.

Please let me know.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Ivan,

It's a brand new system, one of a couple of systems so I was able to swap out different stuff, with the same result.

a) the system is a fresh install with the latest Bios from Asus AND the latest driver set from Intel, see previous post for version.

b) See also the "bug" ID mentioned in the previous post related to the RAID1 problem.

As indicated in previous post, shutdown and powering on the system will always result in a fine system.

Restarting ( warm boot ) will result in a system with ( at least ) one of the two drives missing in the RAID1 config.

The latter could be a good indication of where to look for when fixing (b).

Considering that I am seeing quite a lot of instances with the same problem and that swapping around with hardware does not solve the problem.... and that the "known issues" of the driver set mentions sort like issues I guess there is some work to do at driver level ( or maybe chipset related recommended procedures for the BIOS ).

Looking forward to a fix for this problem!

Kind Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the information you have kindly provided, and as you mentioned above the Known Issues In 15.5.0.1051 Production Version number 1804327901, this hopefully will be fix on the next released versions, hopefully it will be soon but we are aware of the problem.

We will appreciate your patience and you time creating this post.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
RDias4
Beginner

I am having a similar issue in 2 Asus servers TS300-E9/PS4 C236 chipset. I have 2 RAID1 SSD 512GB Adata (OS) and 2 x RAID WD 1TB Red for Data. BIOS, Chipset driver are up to date. On both the servers that were online for a few weeks the 2nd SSD from RAID1 just simply unplugs and RAID becomes degraded. Tested the SSDs and they are all ok.

should I consider this a problem with 15.5.0.1051? Will downgrading to any other version solve this issue?

Thanks,

Rui Dias

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Did you have this problem before with a previous version? If so, I suggest you to downgrade to the previous version that it was working for you.

You can try the previous version at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26759/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-?product=55005

Regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello ruicoutinho,

I'm just following on this case to ask you if you were able to try a previous version and if the problem persists with that version I posted.

Best regards,

Ivan.

0 Kudos