Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

SATA available disk: Removed

moreabhinav
Beginner

I got this error while normal tasking and all of a sudden there comes a notification saying - "SATA available disk: Removed". When I went to the Intel RST application, it showed only my SSD, while my HDD which was working until a while ago isn't detected anymore. I have searched if the same persists among others when I found several similar issues but no solution. My problem is same as the one in the following thread.

https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D50P00004NZVJk/intel-rapid-storage-technology-sata-disk-removed

This has happened to me before, and after shutting the system and booting it again, the problem is solved, but yet the issue is repeating. What is the cause of this issue? and How can I resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

moreabhinav, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to your inquiry, what happened is that the HDD became a recovery disk. Once the computer has been placed as recovery, the Intel® Rapid Storage does not have a way to undo these changes and the information that was stored in there will be lost.

As an option, we can always try the following steps to disable the recovery disk and to start the RAID from scratch, before attempting these steps, please back up your data.

Using the Option ROM User Interface:

• Restart the PC and access to CTRL - i menu, to do that press and hold the Ctrl key and tap the "i" key several times when the PC is starting up to access the menu.
  • Once you do that you will be able to see the status of the disks, reset disks to "Non-RAID Disk"
  • If for some reason the Ctrl - i does not work, then it is possible that the shortcut to access that menu on your computer is different, in that case, the next thing to do will be to get in contact with the manufacturer of the computer for them to provide the correct shortcut or a possible option in the BIOS.
  • Once you set the drives to "Non-RAID Disk" you will be able to access a regular Operating System partition to set the computer back to factory settings.

Using the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology User Interface Utility:

• Run the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology UI from the following Start menu link:
  • Start -> All Programs -> Intel® Rapid Storage Technology -> Intel® Rapid Storage Technology UI
  • Under ‘Status’ or ‘Manage’, click on the volume you want to delete. You will be presented with the volume properties on the left.
  • Click on ‘Delete volume’
  • Review the warning message and click ‘Yes’ to delete the volume.
  • The ‘Status’ page refreshes and displays the resulting available space in the storage system view.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Baldovah
Beginner

Hello! The same thing happened to me.

I had a problem that occured a couple of days back. I bought a new Hard drive to replace my worn out one. Everything went fine until it started to disconnect. 

At first I thought the new drive was defective so I had it replaced under warranty, but the problem persisted. I reported this problem on the Microsoft forums and I did everything they instructed me to. Check the disk for errors as well as the system, check the disks health with certain tools, update drivers as well as make sure to tick optional updates. Just as the first drive, it ran for about 3-5 hours tops then disconnected. During the first drive, my game encountered a fatal error then the drive was no longer there, however, BIOS detects it but windows can't. The same is happening with the replacement drive although the difference is I was on google at the time it occurred. This time I got a notification that said SATA available disk: Removed. this is the first time that I have ever encountered this problem and I don't know what to do. My HDD is healthy, the BIOS can detect it, but my system can't. I don't know why it disconnected it in the first place.

Please help, I did all that I can but nothing seems to be working. Just as the other posts, it does seem to comeback after I view it in BIOS then restart the system but it keeps repeating. Even the people from the shop said that the 1st drive was perfectly fine and healthy. The replacement drive is also fine and healthy. It's the 1st time Intel has ejected or removed a Hard Drive for me.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello moreabhinav, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Just to let you know, the manufacturer of the computer has the option to do all kinds of customizations to their products, so, if the problem persists after trying the steps provided previously, then what we recommend will be to get in contact directly with the manufacturer of it for them to provide further assistance on this matter.

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello moreabhinav, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question.

Regards,

Alberto R.

0 Kudos
Jamash
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Greetings. I hope you are doing well.

I have a similar issue that happened to my friend. The SSD (1TB) has been partitioned into 300/700. The 700GB partition has all her data. All of a sudden, without any prompt or information, she saw a notification that "Intel Rapid Storage Technology has removed drive E". We tried locating the drive from disk management, DISKPART utility but to no avail.

Please, do you have any idea what is happening? Also, we've checked the Intel RST but could not see any disk.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Are you using RAID? Are you using an Optane module/drive? If no to both questions, you do not need and, IMHO, should not be installing Intel RST. There are *no* advantages (the MS Storage Driver performs just as well) and, as you have seen, *lots* of complications and caveats to having Intel RST installed and running. If RAID and Optane are not in the picture, do yourself a favor, uninstall Intel RST and change your BIOS SATA Mode back to AHCI.

Just saying,

...S

0 Kudos