Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2047 Discussions

SSD 520, 535 + RSTe = "Error: Standby Immediate command failed" in SSD Toolbox

MG6
Novice

When I try to Secure Erase either of these drives, I get that error message.

Before installing RSTe (Rapid Storage Techonology enterprise) on my c602 chipset board (Supermicro X9SRA), that tool gave me a Security Freeze Lock, on the SSD 520. I was never to clear it. Not sure it's related, but now, I always get:

Error: Standby Immediate command failed. Reboot your system and try again. ...

Currently, it's not a big problem, as I only wanted to secure erase to free up all the blocks for use by garbage collection. I only tried it on the SSD 535 to see if I got the same error, and I do.

Note: I didn't try the SSD 535 without RSTe, so I don't know if it also had a security freeze lock. The SSD 535 is new, and still in its unpartitioned state.

The SSD Toolbox version is 3.3.6. I just downloaded RSTe from SuperMicro's site, but I can't find the version. Firmware on the SSD 520 is 400i. Firmware on the SSD 535 is RG21. Both are connected to the chipset SATA AHCI controller.

The RSTe app claims everything is healthy.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

more_questions,

Thank you for posting in our forum. About the security freeze lock on your SSD, could you try to power cycle the SSD?

You need to unplug the SATA and power cable while the system is running, once you disconnect the SSD, please power off the computer and plug your drive back in. Restart the system and try one more time.

Please let us know the outcome.

MG6
Novice

I tried removing the power many times, after reading the "Help" in SSD Toolbox. Sometimes, the drive would disappear and need to be redetected (then, still appearing in Security Freeze lock state). Othertimes, not. I removed power for anywhere between ~0.3 seconds to 3 seconds. Nothing seemed to work. Again, I only found this with SSD 520, since I didn't install the 535 before RSTe.

Honestly, I'm a little more concerned about the "Standby Immediate command failed" error, at the moment. It's preventing me from even getting to the point where I see the Security Freeze lock, and I'm concerned it might be causing other problems (no clean shutdown?).

Again, this "Standby Immediate command failed" occurs with both SSD 520 and SSD 535, but only appeared after installing RSTe (latest version, I think). Chipset is Intel C602, and I'm using chipset SATA ACHI @ 6 Gbps, as confirmed by the RSTe app.

OS is Windows 7, 64-bit.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

more_questions,

Thanks for the reply.

When it comes to having issues with the secure erase we normally recommend using other alternatives, for example in this http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/software/000006198.html link.

Now, if this situation started after installing the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe) it will be also important to open a thread with our /community/tech/chipsets chipset department as they may guide you better about this version of the program.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

NC
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

more_questions,

We are following up and we would like to know if you were able to perform our suggestion or contacted the chipset department as well.

We will be waiting for your response.

NC
0 Kudos
MG6
Novice

I didn't pursue this, because I didn't really need to secure-erase the drive.

The Standby Immediate command errors haven't seemed to cause any other problems.

I will give credit to the Jul 5th answer. I didn't try it, so I can't really say whether or not it would work.

Thanks for the assistance.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

more_questions,

You are welcome, remember in case you need further assistance, you can always write in this thread.

Regards,

NC
0 Kudos