Rapid Storage Technology
Intel® RST, RAID
2063 Discussions

Z87X - Win7 - Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller - SATA 3.1 support for RAID-1

Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

At my professional workstation, I am about replace my pair of WD Raptor 10000rpm RAID-1 with newer class WD Gold 2TB, much fresher technology at enterprise class of HDD.

My question this is related to software potentials of the specific driver package which I am using.

WD Gold production 2018 and newer comes with full support about SATA 3.1 specification.

WD2005FBYZ  firmware this is by far better tweaked for RAID arrays support  too.

What I seek to discover is how to verify? 

If my combination of motherboard along INTEL software, if this supporting  SATA 3.1 commands set.

Bellow is my current System report.

No fresh WD Gold HDD attached yet.

System Information
OS name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
OS version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
System name: ATLAS
System manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System model: Z87X-UD5H
Processor: GenuineIntel Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3 3,401 GHz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., 10f (2018)
PCH: 0x8C44

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information
Kit installed: 15.9.8.1053
User interface version: 15.9.8.1053
Language: Greek (Greece)
RAID option ROM version: 12.7.0.1936
Driver version: 15.9.8.1050
ISDI version: 15.9.8.1053

Storage System Information
RAID Configuration

Array Name: SATA_Array_0000
Size: 141.821 MB
Available space: 5 MB
Number of volumes: 1
Volume member: Volume0
Number of array disks: 2
Array disk: WD-WMAKE2083432
Array disk: WD-WMAKE2207544
Disk data cache: Enabled

Volume name: Volume0
Type: RAID 1
Size: 70.908 MB
System volume: No
Data stripe size: 64 KB
Write-back cache: Off
Initialized: Yes
Parity errors: 0
Blocks with media errors: 0
Physical sector size: 512 Bytes
Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

Hardware Information

Controller name: Intel(R) Chipset SATA/PCIe RST Premium Controller
Type: SATA
Mode: RAID
Number of SATA ports: 5
Number of volumes: 1
Volume: Volume0
Number of spares: 0
Number of available disks: 3
Rebuild on Hot Plug: Disabled
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Model number: 0x2822
Product revision: 4
Direct attached disk: WD-WMAKE2083432
Direct attached disk: WD-WMAKE2207544
Direct attached disk: WD-WCANM1550423
Direct attached disk: WD-WMAKE2361478
Direct attached disk: 50026B7380C166FF

Disk on Controller 0, Port 0
Type: SATA disk
Location type: Internal
Usage: Array disk
Size: 69 GB
System disk: No
Command queuing: None
Transfer rate: 1,5 Gb/s
Model: WDC WD740GD-00FLC0
Serial number: WD-WMAKE2083432
SCSI device ID: 0
Firmware: 33.08F33

Disk on Controller 0, Port 1
Usage: Array disk
Serial number: WD-WMAKE2207544

Disk on Controller 0, Port 2
Usage: Available
Size: 149 GB
Transfer rate: 3 Gb/s
Model: WDC WD1600JS-00MHB1
Serial number: WD-WCANM1550423
Firmware: 10.02E01

Disk on Controller 0, Port 4
System disk: Yes
Serial number: WD-WMAKE2361478

Disk on Controller 0, Port 5
Type: SATA SSD
Size: 224 GB
Command queuing: NCQ
Transfer rate: 6 Gb/s
Model: KINGSTON SA400S37240G
Serial number: 50026B7380C166FF
Firmware: SBFKJ4.3

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Intel® 8 Series / C220 Series Chipset Family Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Datasheet

Date 22-05-2013

PCH document references pointing at SATA revision 2.6 (Year 2007), either way a miracle happen and the product were delivered with SATA revision 3.0 (year 2009).

In contrast Marvell 88se9230 RAID controller and development of 2011, they clearly mention in their datasheet compliance to SATA 3.1 (year 2011).

Unanswered will stay the question of how it is possible newer INTEL PCH product this to comply at much older SATA version?

Today I am aware that Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H this is the most remarkable implementation of Z87.

Which is the only Z87 motherboard with the freshest (of that era), INTEL OROM 12.7.0.1936 (6/2013).

And fully compatible with RST 13.0.4.1000 (5/2014)

In conclusion any modern HDD with SATA 3.1 enabled detection they will not be detected in hardware due C220 controller.

And any third party HDD diagnostic which will indicate otherwise, it software developer he is liar.   

They are out there third party HDD diagnostic which using some sort of HDD database results, instead the software to perform a real hardware scan.

I did see that happening, my HDD model detected, and all HDD details are copy paste of manufacturer = WD specification’s down to product weight.

Issue Solved by a Greek, it is worldwide known and a fact, we never surrender at any battlefield or challenge.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Happy New Year 2024 from Greece !

I wish to offer few more clarification’s so my question to be better understood.

According to history facts:

Lynx Point, PCH in Intel 8 Series chipset, Haswell CPU, LGA 1150 socket

Intel Chipset SATA RAID Controller   / pci\ven_8086&dev_2822&cc_0104

Product Brief Intel® Z87 chipset (4-2013)

Key features:

1. Intel® Smart Response Technology (combines small solid state drive with HDD).
  2. Intel® Rapid Start Technology (allows quick system resumes from the hibernate state due add-on dedicated partition as permanent storage of system memory).
  3. Support of NCQ  (boosts boot and multitasking performance)
  4. b) Support of Dynamic Storage Accelerator (by dynamically adjusting system power management policies) = Advanced Power Management (APM)

So in order to summarize, my motherboard SATA hardware it supports since 2013,

NCQ, APM, SATA 3.0, Serial ATA (SATA) interface speed of up to 6 Gb/s  

All these features supported due base driver RST 12.0.0.1075 which Intel actual tested with Win7 and 2TB WD HDD.

Since back then they are several RST revisions, last major for Z87 this is 15.2.16.1060 WHQL March 2017

From 15.2.16.1060 up to latest compatible RST 15.9, did INTEL added any worth mentioning driver supported feature this related to SATA 3.1 specification ?   

According to Western Digital, specific enterprise HDD models, they getting classified as SATA 3.1,  and here starts the confusion.

Because they offer identical  in hardware HDD with regular SATA interface and also with higher speed interface for NAS, the second it cannot be used due motherboard controller. 

Now I am trying to understand if SATA 3.1 this is part of regular SATA interface or of NAS one at 8 Gb/s ? 

DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Kiriakos-GR,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Hello Deivid A.

I did some extra marketing research this time,   Hitachi / HGST this started at August 2015 at describing  their HGST Ultrastar 7K6000, as SATA-3.1 compliant.

Western Digital at the release of their WD Gold / Ultrastar (Year 2016), whatever HGST implemented from SATA-3.1 commands, this now is WD property.

Seagate at November 2016, their Baraccuda Pro ST2000DM009 this is also presented as SATA-3.1 compliant.

My conclusion according these events and related dates, this is that I should use IRST version of 2017 and nothing older.

But they are limits, latest 15.9.8.1050 this blocking old WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic from accessing HDD Smart information (too much security implemented on that driver).

15.2.16.1060 WHQL March 2017 this is for now my only best choice.

I do wonder if there is any release up to IRST 15.5.x.xxxx this offering any better functionality in favor of the specific class of HDD at Windows 7 64x ?

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Kiriakos-GR,  

Thanks for your patience. I want to let you know that SATA 3.1 is supported, however, the compatibility depends on the hardware you are using.

I noticed your chipset and operating system are a bit old, I recommend checking with the motherboard manufacturer for the proper driver since Intel does not provide generic drivers for older generations than 8th. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

SATA 1.3 supported by which version of RST and above? 

Today I got my self at more problems.

I did uninstall  RST Version 15.9.8.1050 from my system,  reverted back to Win7 base driver,  and I did discover that if I delete iastorAC.sys file from my system, I get blue screen at next reboot.

I found traces at Non-plug and play drivers  of iastorAC.sys and i did uninstall them.

Even so, this iastorAC.sys 15.9.8.1050 and while windows are instructed to not load it,  even so again if this file gets deleted I do see blue screen again. 

Further research show that at windows registry,

HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE  down to folder PnpLockdownFiles this file is listed with security rights higher than the system administrator.

I did use driver uninstall from the device manager, but this file and registry keys are still there.

Can you please elaborate of how to clean my system?

Does INTEL has some sort of  RST cleanup tool?  

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Update...

Downgrading INTEL RST version, this solved. 

I did discover the correct procedure by my self .

For a first time I did realize, of  why Gigabyte has a listing of drivers named as  Intel SATA Preinstall driver USB thumb drive available at their website.

Because newer RST xxxx.sys files , at Windows system. these never get overwritten by simply installing an older version of this driver.

Thanks God that I am a real MCSE IT .. with two decades at least of past experiences regarding windows OS.  

So, what about the SATA 3.1

Is at INTEL ranks working any True expert with one decade of past experiences, so to answer this question?  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Kiriakos-GR,  

I am glad to know you were able to fix the issue. In this case, the support of SATA 3.1 will depend on your motherboard and drive, if the motherboard supports 3.1, any Intel® RST driver will support it.

Bear in mind that the manufacturer can choose which driver will support their features under their system.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Hello Deivid A. 

The motherboard its Top Class high performance desktop PC, and actually has the highest revision of Z87.

Six ports Intel Raid + Four ports Marvel Raid. 

This is not any laptop PCB that DELL will do any special cooking.

For as long RAID controller this is Active and not the AHCI, then INTEL software developers they should know best, of what their RAID driver (RST) this is compatible with or able to support.

Long story in sort, I were able to sanitize my operating system from any influence of the 15.x.x.xx RST.

Since yesterday I am running the most compatible RST for my hardware.

System Information
OS name: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
OS version: 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 7601
System manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System model: Z87X-UD5H
Processor:  i7 4770 3,401 GHz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc., 10f

Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise Information
Kit installed: 13.6.3.1001
User interface version: 13.6.3.1001
RAID option ROM version: 12.7.0.1936
Driver version: 13.6.3.1001
ISDI version: 13.6.3.1001

Everything running fast and smooth, and I am ready to welcome both of my new  WD Gold WD2005FBYZ (still on mail).

If no senior RST software developer, has the answer that I am looking for, then this would be unimaginable.

Since which year INTEL did engage to extend compliance of their RAID driver with SATA  3.1 ?

We are thousands with the same theoretical question, and we deserve to know. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello Kiriakos-GR, Thank you very much for your reply.

In order to answer your question, I will do further research on this matter and provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Hi Albert,

I got a clue yesterday from an expert software developer from Russia. 

The ones writing HDD diagnostic software, they are only aware of  HDD SATA detection commands.

( If 6 bit 222 words in the drive identification data is set to 1, then it supports SATA 3.1 )

From the other side,  Marvell 88se9230 RAID  controller and development of 2011, they clearly mention in their datasheet compliance to SATA 3.1    

Unfortunately Marvell castle this has sealed doors, and I cannot contact any one so to receive an answer of clarity. 

Today received my first WD Gold 2TB, which I plan to use for RAID-1 array, the second HDD arrives in 24 hours.

These HDD support several new power management commands along advanced power management.

Regarding  Native Command Queuing, they support basic NCQ protocol and many more new NCQ sub commands or features. 

I would be more detailed, but currently I run extended HDD test, and I am not willing to load any hardware diagnostic software, so to take the necessary screenshot. 

But in 18 hours from now, I will be able to assist further regarding much more detailed clues from my end. 

In case that they are needed.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kiriakos-GR, Thank you very much for providing those details.

Perfect, it is great to hear that you were able to confirm that if 6-bit 222 words in the drive identification data is set to 1, then it supports SATA 3.1. Intel® RST driver is not related to the SATA version so there is no date of compliance with the SATA 3.1. If supported by the platform it will work with the driver.

We really appreciate the updates provided on this scenario and sharing that information as well. We are sure it will be very helpful and useful for all the peers looking at this thread.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Albert R.

Beware of this detail,  I am currently testing this HDD due USB 2.0 to SATA adapter. 

This HDD now its treated as to was functioning in AHCI mode.

So far I do not have any proofs,  that when both HDD form a RAID-1 array,  that this SATA interface detection this will appear too.

Your INTEL boys, they were did too much tweaking at its one RST version,  some newer versions they block even SMART detection, and or block retrieval of specific HDD status information ( by them thinking of it as system security enhancement).

Please check release notes of RST 13.0.3.1001 if there is any INTEL tweak there, which this limit SATA commands interface readability.     

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Kiriakos-GR, Thank you very much for your response.

In regard to your comments, we would like to let you know that Intel® RST 13.0.3.1001 is an old version that is currently not supported. The support for Intel® RST is provided from 17.x onwards. 

In reference to the USB>SATA adapter configuration, that is specifically related to hardware and we cannot comment/support on that scenario either.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thank you @Alberto_R_Intel@Kiriakos-GR was beginning to spout rubbish anyway - and about an O/S discontinued long ago

No blockages were in place (just inferior software). S.M.A.R.T. detection, since specifically mentioned, was in no way ever blocked. The RST GUI exposed S.M.A.R.T. notifications itself. For custom tools, you simply had to have support for tunnelling through RTS's CSMI packet protocol. Once upon a time (read: 13+ years ago), I published an open-source package that detailed exactly how to use this capability to tunnel through and expose all S.M.A.R.T. data, so no excuse for drive vendor software.

...S

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

I have now the impression that this topic become just another dead end.

I am a man with over the average intelligence, I did read about 100 topics in this forum, and I won awareness of what is going on.

The only support that people get is an advice of what version of RST is somewhat better compatible with their motherboard.

I am not interested of such poor information.

INTEL leaved totally undocumented in the past 15 years two subjects.

a) How well its one of INTEL controller series, this supports newer features of enterprise HDD

b) What INTEL did in favor of SATA 3.1 compliance at their 8 Series C220 RAID (high end) Chip-set, speaking of hardware and software support.

Regarding S.M.A.R.T. detection, anything that stands in the way of WD DLG of 2006 and block detection, this is newer inferior software made by inexperienced developers.

All SMART people are aware that at HDD technology development, the leaders are the Japanese scientists.

And if you are not even partially intelligent as they are, then you are unable to grasp or understand their work.

The End...

0 Kudos
Kiriakos-GR
New Contributor I

Intel® 8 Series / C220 Series Chipset Family Platform Controller Hub (PCH) Datasheet

Date 22-05-2013

PCH document references pointing at SATA revision 2.6 (Year 2007), either way a miracle happen and the product were delivered with SATA revision 3.0 (year 2009).

In contrast Marvell 88se9230 RAID controller and development of 2011, they clearly mention in their datasheet compliance to SATA 3.1 (year 2011).

Unanswered will stay the question of how it is possible newer INTEL PCH product this to comply at much older SATA version?

Today I am aware that Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H this is the most remarkable implementation of Z87.

Which is the only Z87 motherboard with the freshest (of that era), INTEL OROM 12.7.0.1936 (6/2013).

And fully compatible with RST 13.0.4.1000 (5/2014)

In conclusion any modern HDD with SATA 3.1 enabled detection they will not be detected in hardware due C220 controller.

And any third party HDD diagnostic which will indicate otherwise, it software developer he is liar.   

They are out there third party HDD diagnostic which using some sort of HDD database results, instead the software to perform a real hardware scan.

I did see that happening, my HDD model detected, and all HDD details are copy paste of manufacturer = WD specification’s down to product weight.

Issue Solved by a Greek, it is worldwide known and a fact, we never surrender at any battlefield or challenge.

0 Kudos