Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

Connecting Drives in M50CYP2UR312

JThom14
Novice

Hello!

I have populated all drive bays (12) in the M50CYP2UR312 chassis.  There are three cable connectors on the backplane of the drives and I used the required CYPCBLHDHDXXX1 cables.  However, the M50CYP2SBSTD board only seems to have two ports for the THREE cables. How is this supposed to be connected.  Also, with 2 of the cables connected, I still do not see ANY drives in BIOS.  Where do I connect the drives, all 12 of them, so I can see them in the BIOS and then how do I setup RAID-5 for these drives?  Also, why isn't there better documentation on these boards?

Thanks!

-Joe

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello JThom14,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

As you correctly state, there are only 2 miniSAS ports on the board that are managed by the board SATA controller. There are another 2x M.2 ports that are managed by the secondary SATA (sSATA) controller. The purpose to have 3x miniSAS connectors on the backplane is to be able to connect all 3 cables to a hardware RAID controller. To be able to see the HDDs in BIOS when connected to the 2 available miniSAS connectors on the board, you need to go to Advanced > Mass Storage Controller configuration > SATA controller > either AHCI/RAID mode.

For more details you can check the Technical Product Specifications document: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/server-products/single-node-servers/m50cyp2ur-cyp-2u-tps.pdf#page=113

Hope it helps

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
JThom14
Novice

Hi Jose-

Thank you for your reply, but, apologies, I am still lost here.  So the system comes with three ports on the backplane but I need to purchase a RAID controller to connect all three?  If this is the case, what RAID controller do I purchase?  Also, I have the 0-3 and 4-7 cables installed and there are no drives showing in the BIOS->Advanced->Mass Storage Controller.  Appreciate the support!

-Joe

0 Kudos
JThom14
Novice

To be clear:  I have all 12 drive bays populated with SSDs. I want to simply connect and see all 12 drives with the ability to do RAID 5 across these drives. I need to know which additional cards are needed, what cables, and where to install these.  The guides simply have multiple options and none are sufficient to explain to me what I need to do.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello JThom14,

There is another regular ticket open for this same issue which is already been worked on. For this reason we will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
JThom14
Novice

NO!  They are NOT helping and are looking for THIS THREAD to continue.  How hard is it to get an answer on this question of what hardware is needed?  HELP please, DO NOT close my ticket.

0 Kudos