Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

INTEL M20NTP and M.2

PeterMSB
Beginner

Hi all,

we just got a brand new Intel M20NTP1UR304 Server System, CPU installed, Memory installed, comes up very fine.

We installed on M.2 Slot (on motherboard) a Western Digital SN570 NVMe SSD, but this device does not show up nor in BIOS nor when installing an OS (Citrix, Windows ....).

How can we get this device visible? Any hint appreciated.

Best regards

Peter Kowatsch

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Allan_A_Intel

Hello, PeterMSB,

Thank your for reaching Intel Communities. I will gladly help you.

Please let me know if you are using the backplane for the drive or if instead you are connecting the drive directly to the NVMe port in the motherboard via an adapter.

If you are using an adapter, please note we do not recommend it because Intel doens't validate adapters and that might be the cause of the issue. But if you are using the backplane that comes with the system, then please test with another drive.

Best regards,

Allan

0 Kudos
PeterMSB
Beginner

Hi Allen,

thank you for your reply.

Yes, we are connecting the drive directly to the NVMe port in the motherboard.

But what do you mean with adapter?

There is the M.2 slot, we directly put the NVM in this slot. On the other side of M.2 we apply the delivered latch assemly (made of plastic).

Is there anything else to do? 

Please find enclosed photo of our installation.

Thanks a lot in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

Peter Kowatsch

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Thank you for the picture. It helped to completely understand your configuration. According to the TPS, if that is the only SSD in the system, it should be detected.

Please test another drive in the system, or to test that same drive in another system. I would like to confirm the drive is working fine before troubleshooting the server board.

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello, PeterMSB,

I am following up on your case. In my last post I provided with some suggestions.

I would also like to add that the drive you are using is meant for end users and not for enterprise-class systems like an Intel server. Also, the brand and model is not validated for the Intel® Server System M20NTP1UR304. Because of all of that, I cannot guarantee the drive will be detected by the system even if you find that the drive works fine in another system.

To find M.2 drives validated by Intel for your system, I suggest you checking our Compatibility Hardware Tool: https://servertools.intel.com/sct/component-to-system

Best regards,

Allan

0 Kudos
Allan_A_Intel

Hello, PeterMSB,

I have not heard back from you so I will close this inquiry now. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Regards,

Allan

0 Kudos
PeterMSB
Beginner

Hi Allen,

waited very long for shipment of new components, arrived not before yesterday.

Made further updates of BIOS and replaced M.2 wisth Samsung 980.

Seems to work right now.

Thank you.

Peter

0 Kudos