Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

Intel S2600CW boot problem

Eugene2
Beginner

My Intel S2600CW dual Xeon server stopped working after a reboot, and I need help identifying the fault. (I know it's an old system, but it's been working fine so far. And I can't even tell which component is faulty.)

Current behavior is as follows. I power up the server. It goes through the motions (on this server, POST typically takes around 2 minutes before the screen even turns on). Diagnostic LEDs sit on 0x62 for a while, then eventually get to 0x85, and I get some beeps. The sequence of beeps varies from boot to boot, but it's typically one short high, one long low, and one or two short high. Diagnostic LEDs stay at 0x85 for about ten seconds, then at 0x89 for another ten seconds, and then turn off. After this, nothing else happens. The "5-volt stand-by" LED is solid green, the "system status LED" is blinking amber (which it was doing continuously from the moment the system was powered on), no other LEDs are on, fans continue to spin, and there is no signal to the monitor.

I tried rearranging and removing DIMMs, and tried plugging the display cable into a different GPU, with no effect.

EDIT: a curious observation. Apparently, this only happens if BIOS is set to boot in UEFI mode. If I switch it to legacy mode (by clearing it with a jumper), it boots successfully (I can even boot a UEFI OS through the UEFI shell), and continues booting successfully every time. But if I switch it to UEFI in the setup, it stops working again.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eugene2.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

We received your case regarding the S2600CW system, and I will be reviewing this with you.

1. What is the current firmware of the platform?

You can review the article Resolve Unexpected System Behaviors on my Intel® Server Board S2600CW Family to help you confirm the current version, and also instructions on how to update if required.

2. Can you share the Sysinfo and BMC debug logs? It is possible that the logs are full if the system has been active for a while, please try clearing the logs first from the system BIOS, then reproduce the error, and finally generate the logs.

Sysinfo download and guide.

BMC log retrieval guide.

3. Additionally, if you perform your tests without any storage units connected, is the system able to get normally to the UEFI/BIOS even if it is set in UEFI mode? or is it not even able to do this?

I will follow up on August 11th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eugene2.

I wanted to follow up on your ticket to check if you had any questions regarding my previous message.

I will follow up again on August 16th in case additional time is required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
Eugene2
Beginner

The problem persists after upgrading the firmware to 1.01.3029. It occurs even if no storage devices are connected. I'll try to collect the logs as requested.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eugene2.

Thank you for letting me know.

I will wait for any updates you can share, and I will set a follow up for August 18th just to monitor the thread.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eugene2.

This message is just a quick follow up for us to monitor your case.

I understand that additional time may be required, so I will set the next follow up to take place on August 23rd.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eugene2.

I wanted to follow up on your community thread to check if our assistance is still required, or if additional time to get the logs is needed.

The thread will be closed on August 25th if there is no confirmation about further assistance being required.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, Eugene2.

Good day,

This message is to follow up on your community thread and inform you about its closure.

You previously mentioned that the problem persisted even after the update, and we were waiting for the logs to continue with the diagnostic, but there was no response after trying to follow up.

I really hope everything is working fine, and you can always reference this community thread if you decide to open a new one or to contact us via different means.

The thread will be closed and no longer monitored by Intel support. If you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, please open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos