Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4784 Discussions

Intel and NVIDIA Pascal P100

SteveJones
Beginner

I'd like to install an NVIDIA Pascal P100 in an Intel server system R2308WFTZSR. The system has dual 1300W power supplies, the NVIDIA P100 has a GPU Power Splitter (Nvidia Tesla 030-0571-000) connected to the P100 8 pin connector, splitting out 4 pins each of the GPU side connector to dual 8 pin connectors accepting power from the server board. The server has a 4 pin connector on the system board, and a cable (SVRBD/PCIe Card H38461-001) with a 4-pin splitting to a 6 and 8 pin connector.

My question is does the system board single 4-pin to 6-pin and 8-pin plugged into each side of the dual 8-pin to 8-pin GPU connector provide enough power to the P100? The system will boot in this configuration, but I'm concerned the GPU may require system board side dual 4-pin to 8-pin connections, one from each 4-pin system board power connector, providing twice the power to each side of the dual 8-pin to 8-pin GPU connection to the P100.

I've attached a picture of the single 4-pin Intel cable connected to both sides of the NVIDIA dual 8-pin to 8-pin connector.

Thanks for your guidance! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, SteveJones.

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support Forums.

I received your case regarding the use of that particular video card with the WF platform, and I will be assisting you with this.

With the card not being part of the supported/validated components for the R2308WFTZSR we do not have a way to confirm any details for you, as this is an unsupported configuration.

Compatible components can be reviewed here:

- https://servertools.intel.com/sct/component-to-system

Maybe you can check and compare with the specifications of the validated video cards, or review directly with NVIDIA if there is any insight they can provide.

I will follow up on November 17th in case we can help in any way.

Regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
SteveJones
Beginner

Hi,

I'd like to say that this has helped in some way, but the manual provides greater detail than the link on use of the two "OPT_12V_PWR" 2x2 connectors and also devices than the link you provided. If I go by information on the link you provided I'd assume GPU's and similar devices (Phi and other accelerators) are not supported. But in the manual it states a "AXXGPGPUCABLE" is available and high-power add-in cards are supported.  I'm assuming the AXXGPGPUCABLE is the same as the "SVRBD/PCIe Card H38461-001" cable as they look the same and it appears pin out is also the same. It does state the maximum power draw for each connecter is 225w, and the card powers up using a single connector, so I'm assuming it will work with a single connector cabled the way I mentioned above.

Intel Server Board S2600WF Product Family - Technical Product Specification 

Thanks. 

Steve

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, SteveJones.

Thank you for the details.

The TPS does mention the existence of those supplementary power connectors for cards that require them, and you can definitely use the card, it was just not tested/validated by us, so we cannot tell how it will respond in this type of implementation.

Checking online, I see P100 card specification that mentions a max power draw of 250 W, so maybe using just one of the connectors on the board (225W) will get the job done as you have already tested, but it is unsure what will happen if you start applying a considerable workload (unless you have already done it), maybe confirming with the manufacturer would be better.

- https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/Data-Center/tesla-p100/pdf/nvidia-tesla-p100-PCIe-datasheet.pdf

If we can help you in any way, please let me know, but if that is not the case, I will proceed to close the thread on November 18th.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, SteveJones.

Good day,

I hope your configuration has been running smoothly and without problems.

This is just a quick follow up to check if you had any other comments and to confirm if we can try help you with anything else.

If that is not the case, I will proceed to close this community thread on November 22nd.

Regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel
Employee

Hello, SteveJones.

Good day,

This follow up is to inform you about the closure of this community thread.

I previously shared that reviewing with the card manufacturer what the expected behavior of the card would be taking into consideration your current implementation would be the best option, and I wanted to follow up in case you had any questions, comments or additional assistance was required, but there was no response after trying to follow up.

The thread will be closed right now and it will no longer be monitored by Intel support, but if you need any type of assistance from Intel in the future, just open a new thread, or contact us using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos