Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600STB fan failure - how to stop every other fan running 100%?

Canno
New Contributor I

Hi I have an S2600STBR single CPU in a P4304XXMUXX

Been running OK for more than a year

One of the 5 chassis fans have failed and I've been unable to find a replacement anywhere.

The other 4 are running fine.

The issue however is that all the rest of the fans - chassis, CPU, PSU fans are now always running 100% and thus very loud.

I set the BIOS setting to Accoustic instead of Performance, alas that made no difference.

It was originally Fan1 that failed so I swapped Fan1 and Fan5 with the hope that having all 1 to 4 working would be ok.

Alas that made no difference.

The BMC "Sensors Readings" are all green OK except the follow 4:

Unknown Fan 05 Not Available No Reading

Unknown DIMM Thrm Mrgn 2 Not Available No Reading

Warning Fan Redundancy Redundancy Lost
Non-redundant:Sufficient Resources from Insufficient Resources 0x8012

Critical Fan 5 Present Device Removed / Device Absent 0x8001

Is there any way around this? Can it really not run with only chassis 4 fans?

Weather is in the 20C's and falling - autumn - i.e. it's not a 'too hot' environment - that would have been 3 or 4 months ago in summer

-Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Canno
New Contributor I

Hi Jose,

thanks for the hint about warranty.

I'll look into it, if I can't get the Fan, since it's not a 'cost' issue, it's just a 'gotta get this working' issue.

If I could find the fan anywhere online, I'd order it today, alas anywhere I've looked (even amazon) in aus says out of stock and no idea when they'll ever get it again

I have worked out a solution myself for the time being until I can get another FUPMLHSFAN

It turns out that fan pin 5 on the motherboard is a 'fan detect' pin, so a 4-pin fan can work if you also ground out pin5

Thus simply running a pin connection from the fan 6 connection pin 1 to the fan 5 connection pin 5 tells the BMC that fan 5 is connected - which it is anyway.

Now the BMC reports that fan 5 is connect and the RPM of fan 5 also.

So it's now happy and no longer running all the fans - 5 chassis, 2 CPU, plus the high pitched PSU fans - at 100%

-Cheers

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Canno
New Contributor I

Also tried putting a 4 pin fan into 'Fan 5' on the motherboard, but while it does spin, it doesn't get detected and gives the same "Sensors Readings" as above, and the all 100% fans.

Guess I'll see if I can find a 6 pin fan anywhere quickly and try that.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Canno,

Thank you for joining the community

The fans "full speed" feature you want to disable its a security feature to prevent overheating in case of any of the internal fans failure. It cannot be disabled though.

The alternate option could be to get you the fan replaced under warranty (in case your system is still covered) You can check for the current warranty status on this website: Warranty Information (intel.com). From there you should be able to create a warranty case and get the fan replaced.

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
Canno
New Contributor I

Hi Jose,

thanks for the hint about warranty.

I'll look into it, if I can't get the Fan, since it's not a 'cost' issue, it's just a 'gotta get this working' issue.

If I could find the fan anywhere online, I'd order it today, alas anywhere I've looked (even amazon) in aus says out of stock and no idea when they'll ever get it again

I have worked out a solution myself for the time being until I can get another FUPMLHSFAN

It turns out that fan pin 5 on the motherboard is a 'fan detect' pin, so a 4-pin fan can work if you also ground out pin5

Thus simply running a pin connection from the fan 6 connection pin 1 to the fan 5 connection pin 5 tells the BMC that fan 5 is connected - which it is anyway.

Now the BMC reports that fan 5 is connect and the RPM of fan 5 also.

So it's now happy and no longer running all the fans - 5 chassis, 2 CPU, plus the high pitched PSU fans - at 100%

-Cheers

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello Canno,

Thank you for your response.

We are glad to hear that you found a way to work around the issue, and we appreciate that you shared the information about it in the forum. Please let us know if you will be needing more assistance.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Canno
New Contributor I

One more bit of help for anyone to put an actual 4 pin fan into the FUPMLHSFAN bracket:

It needs to be an 80mm fan and max depth of the fan is 263mm

I bought a 'spare' Noctura 80mm fan and it was 250mm (1 inch) so just added a 10mm (3/8) piece of square styrofoam beading at the top and bottom to hold it in place - after removing the old dead fan and old wires.

0 Kudos