Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

S2600wtt Critical error - Kernel Power

Polle
Novice

Absolutely new here, so forgive my failure to provide information needed to help with this issue right off the bat.

I have a S2600wtt server, it is plugged into an APC UPS (SMT2200RM2U). 4 switches stacked are also plugged into this UPS, and its only at a 36% load. Well about 6 months ago just the server started crashing randomly with the aforementioned kernel power.  however it would boot back up into a BIOS-like screen with a critical error 0147. I updated Windows server 2016 as far as it would let me (no pending updates now, except for "Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.329.2185.0)." the updates seemed to fix the BIOS screen 0147 error, however it is still randomly restarting. it does so at least 1 to 2 times a day. after the updates it still restarted but it would at least make it to the windows login screen, now about half the time it gets caught on the windows recovery. I took it upon myself to see if i couldn't get somewhere by googling the error code and it lead me to another event call "bug check". seeing this is how windows tries to give you a little more info on the issue. here is a paste from the latest one

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000019 (0x000000000000000e, 0xffffd105baced100, 0x0303030301010303, 0x07d76660a6a6898e). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: f3df6740-d9a5-44cc-b584-600377399407.

The 0x00000019 tells me its a bad header for windows. this is where about I start getting lost. I am not the greatest tech guy but have a decent understanding on computers. if someone could point me in the right direction or tell me the correct things to be looking for / linking here I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

-Preston

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Polle
Novice

I also have the Intel driver support assistant and cannot scan anything from it it gives me an error on the webpage and when i try to redownload from the website in hopes to maybe repair it, it gives me the same webpage " sorry something went wrong while trying to scan" so i am not able to use that atm either.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

Thank you for joining the Intel community

These random reboot issues are usually the most difficult to troubleshoot. Starting with what you tell, I see you have the system plugged to a UPS system. The PSU on these systems are a bit picky on their power source and prefer to be pure sine wave and not a simulated sine wave output, or a stepped approximation.

I think this is a good point to start. You can take the UPS out of the equation and then continue to the next step if the issue persist

I will look forward for your comments

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit:

https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this thread as closed. I will try to reach you back on next Thursday 21st

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Polle
Novice

Seemingly so, Apologies for the late reply we were off Monday and I tried what you said late Friday afternoon, to my surprise the server is still online with no critical errors. however I am a bit skeptical to leave the server off the back up power since we do have power fluctuations from time to time. I'm kind of defeating the purpose of the UPS. At the same time its seems to be the cause of the restarting so I have a conundrum of a problem.  Would I be able to fix it in windows or is this just something that's out of my hands?

I know I'd have to go to window forums for that, was just trying to find out where I stand to know where to go from here.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

I am assuming you connected the server to the wall power outlet and bypassed the UPS. We can monitor the behavior for about a week and then we can conclude the issue might be resolved. About what you are asking if this could be resolved on Windows I think it could if this will be a software issue.

I will look forward to hear your thoughts

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Polle
Novice

Yes sir, I plugged it directly into a wall plug as suggested. I just checked again and it is still running. no restarts afterwards from Friday (1/15/21) onward. do you know any other forums/threads where someone else has had to deal with this odd issue(windows server 2016 crashing due to UPS sinewave distortion)? I understand it probably wont be the exact same server, but with your knowledge if its the same type of problem it might have a similar solution. 

Thank you for your time helping me, I greatly apricate it Jose.

0 Kudos
Polle
Novice

P.S. By Friday (1/22/21) if the server has not restarted I will mark your response - "plug the server directly into a wall plug" post as the solution and move forward. just trying to pick your brain. Thanks

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

This issue with UPS is a know issues at least with Intel server systems. The way the PSU are designed makes them sensitive to the wave form of the power input. You can take a look at this article where it explains a bit more about this. Frequently Asked Questions About UPS Support for Intel® Server Boards

I will wait anxiously for Friday, I promise

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Polle
Novice

Well, I got some bad news. At 7:50am the server restarted. However it could have been a power fluxuation from the wall. I honestly cant tell for sure or not though since the only thing I have to look at is the window event viewer, and it just states an improper shutdown due to bad shutdown, loss of power, or system stopped responding. however one time in a week is a lot better than twice a day. let me monitor the server next week as well and if it does a good job like this week ill mark it as completed/ the solution.

onwards to windows forums!

Again much apricated for your time Jose!

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

You could try pulling the SysInfo log and the Systems Even Log in order to have more information about what could be causing the reboots.

Download System Event Log (SEL) Viewer Utility (intel.com)

Download System Information Retrieval Utility (SysInfo) (intel.com)

Besides that I did not ask for the current BIOS version your system is running. Could be worth it to update it if possible

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

Just following up one more time to know about how is this system behaving.

I will wait for you feedback.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

Do you have any further details, updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? I will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
Polle
Novice

Deal, if I have more issue/concerns ill make a new thread. I plan on using what I learned from the other thread as well to hopefully aid my endeavors. I know I have updates to do from your website, so I will work on those and if I am still having problems I will make a new thread. Thank you Jose, you have been a great help!

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Polle,

Sounds like a plan. Then we will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos