Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4778 Discussions

SS4200-E and JBOD using my disks

idata
Employee

I own 2 HDDs that i used them on a NAS that is broken cause of power failure and now i want to buy a new one and I think the SS4200-E is the best solution for me but i have some questions...

1. Can i use SS4200-E in JBOD mode or i have to use it in RAID mode only?

2. If yes, can I create sheres on all disks or only the first one and others are public?

3. Are my disks compatible with this model? Cause in the compatibility list i found only max 1GB Seagate disk but in the store the specifications of the NAS are for 2GB disks... :S

my disk models are: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS (1500GB) & Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS (1500GB)

I want to use theese disks on the NAS to have 3TB to store and maybe soon i will add another one so the storage will be 4.5TB. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance

Sotiris Petropoulos

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Daniel_O_Intel
Employee

1. Arrays are configured automatically - see http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/ss4200-e/sb/CS-028957.htm

2. See above

3. If they're not on the list, I wouldn't use them. Even if they're similar, you can get wildly unpredictable results using untested hardware

idata
Employee

[quote]1. Can i use SS4200-E in JBOD mode or i have to use it in RAID mode only?

[/quote]

No. With the standard software, only Raid modes 5 and 1 are supported. There is also no option to disable raid, so you must use one or the other.

[quote]

3. Are my disks compatible with this model? Cause in the compatibility list i found only max 1GB Seagate disk but in the store the specifications of the NAS are for 2GB disks... :S

my disk models are: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, ST31500341AS (1500GB) & Seagate Barracuda LP ST31500541AS (1500GB)

I want to use theese disks on the NAS to have 3TB to store and maybe soon i will add another one so the storage will be 4.5TB. Is this possible?

[/quote]

Many people (including myself) use disks that are not on the tested list (a few with 1.5TB). However, if you run into problems, don't expect much help from Intel as they will just say its because you didn't use those in the list. Using only 2 disks you will only be able to use raid 1 (mirrored) so your storage will only be 1.4 TB. (formatted). I use 4x1TB disks which yields about 1.8 TB in Raid 1 and 2.6 TB in raid 5.

Another point, you must make sure that drives used from other systems are completely wiped (unformatted) before installing in the SS4200, otherwise it will hang on boot.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

hmm... so this model is not for me... i should look for something else

thank you very much!

0 Kudos