Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4761 Discussions

missing RDIMM manufacture ID in BIOS

AlanWang_CN
Novice

Greetings!

We are testing Longsys branded  RDIMM on Icelake server platform;  However,  we hit an issue that the RDIMM's manufacture ID displayed as garbled text.

After consulting with BIOS; it appeared that  Longsys JEDEC manufacture ID ( 0x8AD6, ) was not included into Intel BIOS's  RDIMM reference code table yet.

Therefore, I hope to reach to Intel BIOS team  to see  whether it is possible to get the manufacture ID included into reference code

Thank you in advanve!

Best Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Victor_G_Intel

Hello AlanWang_CN,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to continue with your request and see if we are able to fulfill what you need, can you please provide the following information:

1. Is the server system in question an Intel® Data Center System (Intel® DCS)?
  2. What would be the exact motherboard that you are having this issue with?
  3. Please share the current BIOS version that you are experiencing the issue with.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician 

0 Kudos
AlanWang_CN
Novice

Hi Victor;

We are working on M50CYP server board  and  we just updated R01.01.0005 BIOS; but the issue of  garbled text display remains.

Background info:

We also hit this issue on Inspur and H3C  Ice-lake based servers; so we believe this is a common issue. After consulting with AMI (BIOS manufacturer);  it appeared that  Longsys JEDEC manufacture ID ( 0x8AD6, ) was not included into Intel BIOS's  RDIMM reference code table  yet.

According to AMI,  this reference code is part of SMBIOS, maintained by Intel.

Therfore ,   we would like to ask your help to reach to Intel BIOS team to get this resolved.

It is much appreciated  if you can help to reach intel BIOS team.

Or,  in case that this needs some other support channel , pls inform as well.

Best Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel

Hello AlanWang_CN,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

For documentation purposes can you please provide us with the information below to continue with your request:

1. Screenshots where the error with the DIMM's manufacturer name can be seen.
  2. Please confirm if that’s the only issue you are having with these new DIMMs. Functionality wise please confirm if they work correctly and provide the exact part number used.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
AlanWang_CN
Novice

Hi Victor

thank you for your swift response.

1. the error screenshot as below:  from BIOS  & dmidecode command prompt

lQLPJxaNZBStvpTNAobNA1mwQxjmFgR6AKsC6Lih84B1AA_857_646 - 副本.pnglQLPJxaNZbCL9xXNAjHNAy-wbBssIP1bp9kC6LtEEoCiAA_815_561.png

2.  we have tested quite extensivly and confirm that the display  problem is the only problem that we find.

the exact part number is RER432A032G7-WFS100  ( 32G RDIMM)  and RER429A016G7-MES100 ( 16GB) respectibvely.

If you need any further information;  pls let me know.

Best Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello AlanWang_CN, 

Thank you for the information provided.  

We will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

AlanWang_CN
Novice

Hi Josue,

Will you please help to check Is there any update on this matter?

Thank you for your help!

Best Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
AlanWang_CN
Novice

Hi Josue;

Thank you for your help as always.

Is there any update on this matter?

And if there is any action needed from my side, pls let me know.

Best Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
AlanWang_CN
Novice

Hi Josue,

Thank you for your reply!

Your help is much appreciated !

And  anything/information addtional is needed; pls. let me know.

Best Regards, Alan

0 Kudos
Tomb_RAIDers
Beginner

Hello AlanWang,

We also checked your issue because we have plenty of time as of the moment. We checked intel public tools and saw that longsys' DIMMs are not validated by Intel yet. As far as we remember, it takes a long time to validate a component from other companies/businesses/manufacturers to check if there are any errors that will reflect after a long time of usage. 

After that, there might be a new version of firmwares or BIOS that intel will release. Hopefully by that time longsys' components are added to their list of validated stuff. Tho your components seems to be working fine so we think that its ok for you to use it for now. though of course, validated components are always the go to products we use for reliability concerns.

Best Regards,
Tomb_RAIDers
We RAID for you!

AlanWang_CN
Novice

Hi Tomb;

Thank you for your reply! 

And we know that Longsys DIMM is not validated by Intel yet.

I am wondering whether you can refer a point of contact of  the validation team  for me.   

As  now  I am aware that  it takes a long time to validate;  I would prefer to start sooner than later.

Best Regards ,  Alan

0 Kudos
Tomb_RAIDers
Beginner

Hello Alan! I apologize but as an end user of servers, we never had the thought of requesting for a component to be validated so I really don't have an idea where to contact a validation team. Though you can always contact Intel through client support if they have a procedure to request for a validation, or seek assistance with your authorized resellers.

Best of luck,
Tomb_RAIDers.
We RAID for you!

0 Kudos