Software Archive
Read-only legacy content
17061 Discussions

Disabling Xeon Phi's alarm

Felipe_S_
Beginner

Whenever I'm using the Xeon Phi and the temperature rises to a maximum level, an alarm starts to sound. Is there any way to disable this acoustic alarm?

I have tried to look on documentation and manuals about the Xeon Phi but I haven't found any solutions.

I am using the Intel Xeon Phi x100 (device ID 0x225e) with CentOs.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

Instead of disabling the alarm, improve the cooling.

If this is a "P" series, you are required to add forced air cooling. See the datasheet for requirements.

e.g. 5100P or 3100P where P means Passive, does not mean "no fan required", rather it means "no fan supplied".

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos
Alberto_V_Intel
Employee

For reference, the KNC datasheet can be found here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/xeon/xeon-phi-coprocessor-datasheet.html

where you can find airflow requirements for the Intel® Xeon PhiTM P series in section 3.3.2.

Alberto V.

0 Kudos
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III

From my experience of adding cooling fans (dual 5100P's) you have 3 factors to resolve, and they are all interrelated.

1) CFM requirements
2) The above CFM at/above a specified pressure differential
3) A fan controller that can supply sufficient current to supply the fan(s)

While many fans are rated to supply the required CFM, this is under little or no pressure differential. IOW capacity measured in open air, not pushing air through a constriction such as a piece of equipment.

This forum has some solutions. Search for "3100P fan", some of the hits may be of use.

Jim Dempsey

0 Kudos