Software Tuning, Performance Optimization & Platform Monitoring
Discussion regarding monitoring and software tuning methodologies, Performance Monitoring Unit (PMU) of Intel microprocessors, and platform updating.

What is the modern equivalent of RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB?

brydon_gibson
Beginner

I've built an app with dpdk 20.11 and I'd like to convert it to a shared library. I've removed the main function, changed the app name to a library name, and configured RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB=y. However, make still complains about "undefined reference to main".

The CC command is as follows:

cc -O0 -ggdb -include rte_config.h -march=native -I/usr/local/include -DALLOW_EXPERIMENTAL_API eCPRI.c cmdParser.c -o build/libeCPRIgen-shared -L/usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu -Wl,--as-needed -lrte_node -lrte_graph -lrte_bpf -lrte_flow_classify -lrte_pipeline -lrte_table -lrte_port -lrte_fib -lrte_ipsec -lrte_vhost -lrte_stack -lrte_security -lrte_sched -lrte_reorder -lrte_rib -lrte_regexdev -lrte_rawdev -lrte_pdump -lrte_power -lrte_member -lrte_lpm -lrte_latencystats -lrte_kni -lrte_jobstats -lrte_ip_frag -lrte_gso -lrte_gro -lrte_eventdev -lrte_efd -lrte_distributor -lrte_cryptodev -lrte_compressdev -lrte_cfgfile -lrte_bitratestats -lrte_bbdev -lrte_acl -lrte_timer -lrte_hash -lrte_metrics -lrte_cmdline -lrte_pci -lrte_ethdev -lrte_meter -lrte_net -lrte_mbuf -lrte_mempool -lrte_rcu -lrte_ring -lrte_eal -lrte_telemetry -lrte_kvargs

It looks like it's still trying to build an executable as opposed to a shared library. Do I need to change more in my makefile, or is there a different option than RTE_BUILD_SHARED_LIB in newer versions of dpdk?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Caguicla_Intel

Hello brydon_gibson,

Thank you for posting in Intel Ethernet Communities. 

Since this question involves DPDK, please check with Intel Premier Support for further assistance. See the following for access to Intel Premier Support.

Click the "Access and Log In" to contact the DPDK support https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/design/support/ips/training/welcome.html

Please be informed that we will now close this request. Just feel free to post a new question if you may have any other inquiry in the future as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thank you for choosing Intel and stay safe!

Best regards,

Crisselle C.

Intel® Customer Support

0 Kudos
brydon_gibson
Beginner

Hi Crisselle,

Intel Premier support does not have "DPDK" as a selectable product when creating a case. What product should this be created under?

0 Kudos