cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't use SSD Toolbox on my X25-M ??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I have just setup my new computer with Win7 installed on a WD Velociraptor 300GB and an intel SSD X25-M 160GB where I installed Flight Simulator. When I first launched Windows 7, it did not show my SSD in "My Computer" and I had to go to "Disk Management" to select the SSD Drive and "activated" it in NTFS. Now everything seems fine.

Now, I wanted to instal the SSD Toolbox to optimize my drive. In the bios, all SATA drives are set with IDE. Unfortunately, when I launcg the SSD Toolbox, it says that the SSD drive is not compatible with the tool..... what's going on ?

Thank you

Greg

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Actually I have just bought new components and have connected my SSD to a SATA port like my 2 other standard HDD. I have only "activated the SSD" in Windows7 because at the first start of the PC it did not show in "My Computer".... On the box, it says that the SSD manufacture date is Aug2009 and I did not update any firmware... I don't even know if Win7 recognize it as a SSD.... What shall I do ?

Thank a lot

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't do anything then. Everything you say is normal. Just wait for a new firmware in order to enable trim...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

But howcome I am the only one in the world who can't run this Intel Tool on my SSD drive.... How come it says "tool not supported".. ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I believe it's due to the fact that everyone else has updated to the new firmware...which was then cancelled. So again dont worry. I would be really happy to be in your situation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III
When I first launched Windows 7, it did not show my SSD in "My Computer" and I had to go to "Disk Management" to select the SSD Drive and "activated" it in NTFS.

This is perfectly normal for most newly installed drives, SSD or mechanical.

But howcome I am the only one in the world who can't run this Intel Tool on my SSD drive.... How come it says "tool not supported".. ?

You already answered your own question...

I did not update any firmware...

TRIM is not supported unless you have the latest firmware.

Intel have pulled the new firmware amidst reports that it is bricking drives. Be patient and I'm sure we will have news soon. Even for those of us who are running the latest firmware, there is always that nagging doubt that it is going to screw the hardware so we are all in the same boat to some extent.

I'd recommend that you keep your controller in AHCI mode also. Some people would have had to run the firmware updater in IDE mode. It does not mean that this is necessary for normal operation.