cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have a good day! Does Intel SSD P4500 support VSS(Variable Sector Size) functions?

jWu78
New Contributor

Have a good day!

Does Intel SSD P4500 support VSS(Variable Sector Size) functions?

If not,Why? I known that SSD P3500/P3600/P3700 series are support VSS functions.

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi hmily_jian,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

According to this guide, the NVMe* drives use Variable Sector Size (VSS) technology. As the Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series is an NVMe* drive, it should support VSS: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000016238/memory-and-storage/data-center-ss... Change Variable Sector Size on NVM Express* Drives

This guide explains how to change the Variable Sector Size using the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (DCT), you can try it with your drive to confirm if it is supported.

I hope this information answers your question.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

jWu78
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply.

I use isdct tool to change the SectorSize on Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X. (I haven't found the disk of P4500 for the time being.)

And I found Sector size can be switched between 512 and 4096. when I try to change the SectorSize to 4160. A mistake was reported.

So My question is : Does the Intel SSD DC P4500/P4510 the same with Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X support VSS function, but It also can't

change to 4160? Thank you.

$sudo isdct start -intelssd 0 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=5 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

WARNING! You have selected to format the drive!

Proceed with the format? (Y|N): Y

Formatting...(This can take several minutes to complete)

- Intel Optane(TM) SSD DC P4800X Series PHKE736100RS375AGN -

And change the SectorSize to 4096 .It was succeed.

$sudo isdct start -intelssd 0 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=3 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

- Intel Optane(TM) SSD DC P4800X Series PHKE736100RS375AGN -

jWu78
New Contributor

intel_corp

And I use isdct tool change sector size to 4160 on Intel SSD P4510. A mistake was reported.

$sudo isdct start -intelssd 2 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=5 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

- Intel SSD DC P4510 Series BTLJ724400FU1P0FGN -

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi hmily_jian,

According to the Intel® SSD DCT User Guide ( https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use...), the LBAformat parameter could be a number from 0 to the maximum number of LBA formats the drive has, which is referenced as NumLBAFormats. You can check this parameter with the show command as follow:isdct show -all -intelssdYou should run that command to check the number of possible formats for each drive. If the NumLBAFormats value is 2, then you can only use 0, 1 or 2 for the LBAformat parameter.Regards,Diego V.