cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Cannot clone to new Intel 520 Series SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just purchased the new Intel SSD 520 Series (240GB) and was attempting to clone my existing OS volume to the new disk but I keep getting an error. It simply says Error Operation Failed in a message box. This is with Intel Data Migration Software.

I also tried the Acronis version that came with my other hard drive for western digital and the same result. I even tried cloning by using the bootable media (booting from a DVD) because I thought maybe I want supposed to be using the OS at the same time. But no luck

Anyone know what's going on? How can I get my exisint system partition to the new disk.

Its currently resides on an OCZ Vertex 2 (180GB) and I'm running Windows 8 64Bit

Thanks for any help

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Is Windows installed in UEFI mode?

If you're running Windows 8 in UEFI mode you will have to use a third-party utility to convert the new SSD to a GPT device before you can clone the partitions on the old device to the new one.

Windows 8 diskpart will do the job...it's a bit clunky but it works.

From the start screen type:

cmd

Right click on the tile for "command prompt" and select "run as administrator" from the options at the bottom of the display

when the DOS box opens, type

diskpart

at the prompt. When dispart starts, type

list disk

at the prompt. Find your OCZ SSD in the list and verify there is a * in the GPT column for the device. If there is no * in the GPT column for the device, you have a different problem and you should exit diskpart (type exit) without taking further action. If there is a * in the GPT column for the OCZ device, find the entry for the new Intel device and note the device number. Note the device numbering starts with 0, not 1

At the diskpart prompt type

select disk N (where N is the device number, i.e., select disk 3.)

at the diskpart prompt type

list disk

and verify there is a * in the selected column of the line pertaining to the new Intel SSD

Verify again that the correct device is selected, because the next step is going to wipe _everything_ on the device that has a * in the first column of the line pertaining to that device. No kidding. It doesn't care what, if anything, is on the device...It doesn't care if you really meant to select a different device...the next step will will eradicate the data on the selected device and no power on earth will get it back. Ever.

At the diskpart prompt type

clean (and kiss any data, partitions, formatting, etc, on the device good bye).

at the diskpart prompt type

convert GPT

You should get confirmation that the conversion was successful. At this point you can close diskpart and try the Intel data migration software again

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

How can I tell is Windows is installed in UEFI mode?

Also I think I found a solution that didn't require that many steps. Since I also have a Western Digital hard drive for backups, I'm able to run their Acronis True image WD edition. Fortunately it has more features that the Intel version. All I did was create a full image backup of my existing System disk. Then I simply restored that to the new Intel SSD and that was it.