cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intel SSD 520 240 GB problems

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I received my Intel SSD 520 240 GB mid-June, and since then, I have been nothing but frustrated with this SSD and Intel's email support.

First off, let me start off with my system specifications:

Asus U20A Notebook

Intel Dual-Core ULV SU7300 1.3 GHz

Mobile Intel GS45 Express Chipset + ICH9M

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Intel GMA X4500MHD Graphics

Before upgrading to this SSD, I ran a 320 GB HDD in AHCI for 3 years on Windows Vista, and later, Windows 7 with absolutely no problems. After upgrading, I freshly installed Windows 7. The installation went without issue, but upon booting up into Windows, my system would frequently pause/freeze/stall for a minute-or-so, then resume for a few minutes only to pause again. I could still move the mouse, but running application would become completely unresponsive.

After multiple re-installations of Windows, updating Windows (which took all night with all the frequent pauses) and installing IRST 10.8.0.1003 drivers, the problem still remained. After installing Intel SSD Toolbox (took 15 minutes) and running a full diagnostic scan on the SSD, it came up with read errors within a few seconds. I RMA'ed the SSD only to have its replacement do exactly the same thing.

So now I'm thinking maybe it's my notebook. So I tested the new SSD in my older desktop with the following specifications:

Shuttle SG33G5

Intel Core 2 Quad

Intel G33 Chipset + ICH9DH

4 GB DDR2-800 RAM

Intel GMA 3100 Graphics

The SSD ran perfectly.

So with the SSD back in my notebook, and after some troubleshooting, I discovered that if I run the SSD in IDE mode, the pauses do note happen. Still unsatisfied, as obviously the SSD is much slower in IDE mode, I took to the forums in-search of a fix as Intel's email technical support is totally and utterly useless.

I found on Corsair's SSD support forums that one of their SSD that also uses the SandForce controller was suffering from similar pauses. The fix (discussed http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=96663 here) was disabling Link Power Management (LMP) and it worked. Since then, Corsair has released a firmware update that addresses this issue. You also need to disable Device Initiated Power Management (DIPM) in the Intel SSD Toolbox, or else the pauses come back.

The fix is specific to the IRST drivers and involves modifying values within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor.

With the pauses fixed, now I am having another issue: I am getting a BSOD with STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep. Again, I took to the forums, and unsurprisingly, an OCZ SSD that also uses the SandForce controller was suffering from the exact problem (discussed http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?93140-Random-BSOD-0x000000F4-with-Vertex3-120... here). Just as Corsair did, OCZ released a firmware update to address these issues.

So besides disabling sleep, how do I fix the this BSOD STOP 0xF4? When is Intel releasing a firmware update to address these SandForce-related issues?

Also, below is my email communique with Intel technical support, just in case anyone is thinking that they will be useful.

Hello Marc,

Thank you again for contacting Intel Customer Support.

It is not necessary, they are in the previous emails.

Sincerely,

Mark B.  

Intel Technical Support

Original TextFrom:<<snipped>>To:mailto:support.replies_@mailbox.intel.com support.replies_@mailbox.intel.comCC:Sent:07/18/12 09:41:39Subject:Re: {ticketno:[8000475687]} - Your Intel Customer Support Inquiry

Can you please reiterate your recommendations?

On Jul 18, 2012 12:33 PM, <</span>mailto:SUPPORT.REPLIES@mailbox.intel.com SUPPORT.REPLIES@mailbox....

13 REPLIES 13

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I also spoke too soon, as I am still getting STOP 0xF4 after resuming from sleep. I will make a new thread for this specific issue.

Josh: You can check if TRIM is enabled by opening a Command Prompt as an administrator and typing:

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

0 means enabled while 1 means disabled.

To enabled TRIM, type:

fsutil behavior set disablenotify 0

I believe TRIM is enabled by default.

Are the pauses only happening with your browser?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Starchild, yes, TRIM is enabled. and yes, the freezing only happens in the browser (Chrome).. At the bottom of the browser it reads "Waiting for Cache". I haven't had a chance to push the computer but, I will this weekend!!! Photoshop, games, run-of-the-mill operations.. I'll let you know how it turns out.

****UPDATE*****

Its just happened!!! outlook was checking for mail and I was cruising the internet.. Anywho.. I will send more updates as things happen.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Unfortunately, I can't stop the freezing either in a Lenovo W520 Win7 system. I have the LMP set to active / active in the windows power options, and the SSD Toolbox says DIPM isn't supported. However, I still had the drive hang in the on state (LED lit) over the weekend. It seems more likely to happen when I login remotely, but it also can happen right after reboot while actively loading up programs (so I don't think any type of power management comes in to play there). Any other ideas on how to fix this? Should I just RMA?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I still have the freezing problems too.. But, since I followed the recommendations of Starchild.. it seemed to be freezing less.. I wish Intel would come out with a fix, I had the drive for over a month and I haven't seen any new updates. My opinion would be to return it and get a different brand.. or just hope something comes down the pipe soon.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have these issues too, on a Lenovo W520.

I had a 160GB 320 series and that ran fine and never froze.

Then I upgraded to the 520 series and got a 180GB - started freezing. Tried to fix it but assumed the disk was faulty so I grabbed a 240GB as well, the 180GB is in another PC and works great but the 240GB is having the same symptoms/issues as you.

Please fix this Intel!