Solid State Drives (NAND)
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on NAND technology
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
3783 Discussions

Linux installed on Intel 730 and SSD toolbox

DKont
Beginner

I have an Intel 750 with Windows 7 on it. I also have an Intel 730 with Linux on it. I have no problems, these drives are just awesome (so far). My question is, the 730 obviously shows up in windows when I run the SSD toolbox. I ALMOST optimized the drive, which I haven't done yet. Will it work? Should I or should I not? I'm curious about this as I have disabled all scheduling until I find out.

Thanks in advance...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello DonLinux,

The Intel® SSD Optimizer function in Intel® SSD Toolbox is used to optimize the SSD using TRIM functionality on any Intel® SSD detected by the Windows® system. However, if the Intel® SSD 730 has a bootable Linux partition, you can use Linux to run TRIM on that drive.

You can TRIM the SSD in Linux using the "fstrim" command on a schedule/manually, or you can also do it mounting the filesystem with the "discard" option. We have checked multiple sources and the concensus is to schedule a cronjob in order to run "fstrim" periodically. In external Linux websites, users mentioned that the discard option may actually have a performance impact.

You can find more information about this topic in the following thread:

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello DonLinux,

The Intel® SSD Optimizer function in Intel® SSD Toolbox is used to optimize the SSD using TRIM functionality on any Intel® SSD detected by the Windows® system. However, if the Intel® SSD 730 has a bootable Linux partition, you can use Linux to run TRIM on that drive.

You can TRIM the SSD in Linux using the "fstrim" command on a schedule/manually, or you can also do it mounting the filesystem with the "discard" option. We have checked multiple sources and the concensus is to schedule a cronjob in order to run "fstrim" periodically. In external Linux websites, users mentioned that the discard option may actually have a performance impact.

You can find more information about this topic in the following thread:

DKont
Beginner

Thanks, I'm good to go then. It through me since it shows up in the toolbox when I'm booted into Windows.