cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processor not supported by Solidigm Storage Tool 1.1 but was OK on Intel MAS Tool 1.12

A_Windows_User
New Contributor

Trying to install Solidigm Storage Tool 1.1 on a (very) old laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-SZ370P) where the hard disk has been replaced with an (also old) Intel X-25M 160GB SSD. Installer throws message that the "processor does not support this software". Processor is an  Intel Core2 Duo T7200. Switched back to previous Intel Memory and Storage Tool 1.12 that installs and runs without any issues.

Is this a Solidigm bug or is it by design? Will I have to stay on Intel MAS 1.12 on this laptop?

System info:

OS: Windows 10 Pro 32-bit 21H2 (English) 10.0.19044.1706 (up to date)

RAM: 3GB

SSD: Intel X-25M 160GB (SSDSA2M160G2GC), firmware 2CV102M3 (latest)

Processor info (from Intel Processor Identification Utility):

Intel® Processor Identification Utility
Version : 6.7.24.0211
TimeStamp : 2022/05/17 02:58:04
Operating System : Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19044.0
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: 1
Active cores per processor: 2
Disabled cores per processor: 0
Processor Name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7200 @ 2.00GHz
Type : 0
Family : 6
Model : F
Stepping : 6
Revision: D1
Maximum CPUID Level: 10
L1 Instruction Cache: 2 x 32 KB
L1 Data Cache: 2 x 32 KB
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Packaging: Micro FCPGA/Micro FCBGA
Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology: Yes
MMX(TM): Yes
Intel® SSE: Yes
Intel® SSE2: Yes
Intel® SSE3: Yes
Intel® SSE4: No
Intel® AES-NI: No
Intel® AVX: No
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: Yes
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel® 64 Architecture: Yes
Intel® virtualization technology: Yes
Intel® vt-x with extended page tables: No
System Graphics:
Expected Processor Frequency: 2.0 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 1.66 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 667 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 664 MHz

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

A_Windows_User
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. It explains what has happened. Even though the processor has "Intel® 64 Architecture: Yes", the 32-bit (x86) edition of Windows is being used, and the software only runs on 64-bit Windows. It would have been clearer and more helpful if the error message had been something like "this software requires the 64-bit edition of Windows" or "this software does not run on 32-bit editions of Windows". In short, it is not a "bug", it is by design.

As for the statements that "Intel® SSD X25-M Series product is on the end of interactive support (EOIS) status and the only support available is self-service support. Intel Customer Service no longer responds to ... inquiries for Intel® SSD X25-M Series" --- please be assured that I'm aware of it. Anyway the post was about the Solidigm software and its relationship to the processor, not about the SSD X-25M. The X-25M continues to perform very reliably --- and yes, I'm aware that if it ever fails there will be no repair service available. But as long as it keeps working properly in the function it is being used for, I'll keep using it. A choice I feel is also environmentally sounder than just throwing it away and thus needlessly adding to the exponentially growing amount of electronic junk worldwide.

As an aside, let me state that I've never have an Intel SSD fail on me --- something that unfortunately cannot be said about other brands of SSDs that I've had experience with.

I'll keep using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool 1.12 on that laptop.

I consider the case closed --- thank you for your clarification of the matter.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor

Hello, A_Windows_User.

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory and Storage support.

As we understand, you are requesting support related to your Intel® SSD X25-M Series and Solidigm™ Storage Tool. If we inferred correctly, please, review the following information:

1- The Solidigm™ Storage Tool (SST) only supports 64bit CPUs & Operating Systems. 32bit support has been deprecated. We do apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Current documentation for the tool may show that 32bit or x86 is supported, but this is an error. We will be posting new documentation once ready.

2- Please consider that your Intel® SSD X25-M Series product is on the end of interactive support (EOIS) status and the only support available is self-service support. Intel Customer Service no longer responds to telephone, chat, or e-mail inquiries for Intel® SSD X25-M Series, but you may want to try to get recommendations from fellow community members. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/discontinued-products.html

3- We advise you to keep using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool 1.12 that is currently working for you to keep an eye on your SSD status.

We will not close this thread, and you can still post and share your findings with the community. If you need assistance related to an Intel® product, please do not hesitate to contact us by opening a new thread, and please submit a new question. We will no longer monitor this thread.

We hope fellow community members have the knowledge to jump in and help.

Best regards,

Jos B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician.

A_Windows_User
New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. It explains what has happened. Even though the processor has "Intel® 64 Architecture: Yes", the 32-bit (x86) edition of Windows is being used, and the software only runs on 64-bit Windows. It would have been clearer and more helpful if the error message had been something like "this software requires the 64-bit edition of Windows" or "this software does not run on 32-bit editions of Windows". In short, it is not a "bug", it is by design.

As for the statements that "Intel® SSD X25-M Series product is on the end of interactive support (EOIS) status and the only support available is self-service support. Intel Customer Service no longer responds to ... inquiries for Intel® SSD X25-M Series" --- please be assured that I'm aware of it. Anyway the post was about the Solidigm software and its relationship to the processor, not about the SSD X-25M. The X-25M continues to perform very reliably --- and yes, I'm aware that if it ever fails there will be no repair service available. But as long as it keeps working properly in the function it is being used for, I'll keep using it. A choice I feel is also environmentally sounder than just throwing it away and thus needlessly adding to the exponentially growing amount of electronic junk worldwide.

As an aside, let me state that I've never have an Intel SSD fail on me --- something that unfortunately cannot be said about other brands of SSDs that I've had experience with.

I'll keep using the Intel® Memory and Storage Tool 1.12 on that laptop.

I consider the case closed --- thank you for your clarification of the matter.

Best regards,