cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAID + TRIM Support. When? a month/year/never?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just put a new work system together and I decided to use two X25m 80GB drives in a RAID1 configuration for reliabilty. I am now thinking I should have just gone with a single 160 or 80GB drive and then just set up a weekly backup to my 1TB HDD. This way I would get the advantages of using TRIM support. I am using Windows 7 64-bit on an ASUS P7P55D-E Pro

Does anyone have any idea when RAID1 (or 0) will gain support for TRIM? I can certainly wait, but I would like to know the approximate time frame on this. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The manual TRIM command via the Intel SSD Toolbox does not work with any RAID configuration, software or hardware. That is documented in the SSD Toolbox User Guide, although there is no mention of the two types of RAID implementations.

When and if it ever will be, for either implementation, is unknown, I have never seen an official statement regarding this.

Of course, whom is responsible for accomplishing this is complicated, and it is unlikely that one solution would cover all bases.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yeah, I have given up on TRIM with RAID. Since I now have much more confidence in Intel SSDs, I am going to replace my two 80GB units (RAID1) with a 160GB unit once the new model become available around February.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

caesarv, sounds like a good idea. FYI, the new chipsets for the Intel "Sandy Bridge" LGA-1155 CPU's, the P67 and H67, will have SATA 3 support on two of their six SATA ports. Thank God Intel has a SATA 3 chipset/driver coming out (from what I've read), the few (one? The Marvell) that exist now don't seem to be the greatest, it seems some people have problems with it.

On the other hand, that may just be torture, since I've seen test's of Intel 80GB SSD's in RAID 0 that had sequential read speeds beyond SATA 2 capability, so you want to RAID your 'drives with a good SATA 3 implementation, but then... we're back to the TRIM in RAID issue.

The rumored specs of the new Intel G3 SSD's do not indicate they will have their sequential read speeds much improved over the current ones, but better sequential write speeds being the main difference, as well as greater capacity at lower cost, and longer longevity. Of course, those are just rumors, and the SATA 3 support in the new chipsets was not known before the Sandy Bridge CPU specs were released, so who knows.

If someone could get TRIM working with their RAID implementation, they'd probably get a lot of attention.