Solid State Drives (NAND)
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on NAND technology
Announcements
Support for NAND SSD’s is changing as result of the business being acquired by SK Hynix (Solidigm). Read more
3791 Discussions

SSD Password locked after secure erase with SSD Toolbox

idata
Community Manager

I had a hard drive start stating i had a GRUB hard disk error after a windows restart a couple hours ago and windows could not fix the partition. After which i decided to do a secure erase on my other computer that had SSD Toolbox after successfully doing this i tried to install windows on the other computer to the SSD again and it would not work. I then tryed installing it in my computer that i did the secure erase on and it shows that the SSD is locked in Intel Rapid Storage Technology program. I do not know the password and do not know how to go about getting it unlocked or retrieveing the password. if someone could please help me as i would like to get my server, which uses this intel x25-v SSD as its OS drive, back up an running.

Thanks!

Marcus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
idata
Community Manager

In a word, SOL. Or is that three words. In any case, the drive is locked. You need the password to unlock the firmware in the drive. A grub error indicates the drive was used before. Return it and get your money back or RMA the drive to the manufacturer.

idata
Community Manager

doubt i can return it or rma it its at least 2 years old or so. Idk how long the warranty is on the drive or anything so idk what im gonna do. Could i use parted magic boot disk and go into linux an use HDparm to unlock the drive?