cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Windows 7 Users Running Toolbox Optimizer?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why are Windows 7 users running the toolbox optimizer when the readme file explicitly states that for win7 this is not needed. The only case for running the optimizer toobox for WIN 7 is if you are using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager 8.x driver or any driver that does not support the (TRIM) command:

The readme says page 13:

"If your PC uses Microsoft Window 7 and the standard Microsoft AHCI driver(the DEFAULT setup for nomral configurations without RAID), the Intel SSD Optimizer will work; however, you do not need to use the Intel SSD optimizer because Microsoft Windows 7 implments the ATA Data Set Management Command (TRIM) natively."

47 REPLIES 47

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I am new to SSD and just bought a Intel 160GB. I am on Win7 and I confirmed that TRIM is not running on my laptop. I have been using the SSD for the past 2 weeks and I can see the performance getting slower when benchmarking using crystaldisk. I read the entire Intel discussion and concluded that the AHCI driver is the problem. A number of posts I have read mentioned that TRIM will function when its on the standard MS driver. Does it mean the driver that comes with Win7? I have 2 drivers listed for the controller, and . So the question is which driver must I use to make TRIM work? Thanks in advance.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The only place I have "msahci.sys" is in "device manager->IDE/ATAPI controllers->Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller->Properties"

This is after windows 7 install with default drivers.

But someone else should confirm this, because in my setup win7 does not autotrim my ssd and I have to run the optimizer to get full speed.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

what is your proof that autotrim is not working on your SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I run AS SSD benchmark and notice performace decreasing as time passes.

After 10 days and performance is really low and I notice the computer slower (and bench proves it), I can only get back top speed after running intel optimizer.

I had this posted with bechmarks here:

http://communities.intel.com/message/73125# 73125

I even disabled the second onboard controller Jmicron, it was never in use and it has nothing to do with the problem, so it did not solve it.

Maybe it's someting with my bios implementation (I have last firmware version for my asus P5B - intel ICH8-R)... but I dont know were the problem comes from.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You must use the Microsoft one that is listed, Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller. Try this: Go to device Manager from "Control Panel\System and Security\System". Select View, then Devices by Connection. Now this part might be different, but expand ACPI x64, then expand Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System, then expand PCI Bus. There should be an entry for the Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller. Expand that selection. For me, I have ATA Channel 0 and 1. My SSD is connected to ATA Channel 0 which means that i'm using msahci. If your SSD is not connected to the controllers listed, then that could be your issue. And if that is the case, then running the SSD optimizer is mandatory.