cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 wont boot after irst 9.6.0.1014 update

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi!

I recently bought a X25-M 80GB drive and installed win 7 x64 on it. I had Raid mode set in the BIOS during install, as i wich to add a raid array later for storage.

All went well untill i updated the storage driver to 9.6.0.1014 and now the system only boots if i set BIOS to IDE mode. If i use RAID or ACHI mode the pc just hangs with a blak screen when booting into windows!

I benched ssd performance with as-ssd-bench and in IDE mode the performance is a lot worse than in RAID mode (almost half the result). Dont know if this is due to driver 9.6 malfuction compared to driver 8.6 wich comes originally with win 7.

I reinstalled the OS, creatting a restore point before installing 9.6 driver and the same happened! Only boots in IDE mode, so i restored the system to 8.6 driver.

My doubt is about TRIM... Will it work with BIOS in RAID mode and 8.6 driver?? Is Intel SSD optmizer the same as TRIM??

Thanks in advance!!

11 REPLIES 11

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Driver 9.6 states that it adds TRIM support for drives in RAID and ACHI mode so i supose that with driver 8.6 i wont be using TRIM.

My drive is connected to port 1 (SATAII 1). I'll try connecting it to port 0 and see if that helps.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My bad, i just remembered from someone else's post, where to paraphrase, Microsoft used Intel Matrix storage manger (8.6) for their RAID driver. So no, no TRIM is supported there.

Your setup should be able to use the RST driver though. I wouldn't give up on it just yet, but yes, you could use the 8.6 driver and just use Toolbox for manual TRIM.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well i found a workaround. I connected all my other drivers to the onboard sata controllers (JMicron i think) and now only my SSD is conected to the ICH9R and seems to be working fine with 9.6 ddriver for now!

Hope the problem gets fixed in a future release because the board has only 2 jmicron slots and i cant connect more HDDs as a wich in the future!

Any intel developers reading this?

Thanks for youre help Ozz

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well the workaround doesnt work that well. I rebooted and then it doesnt boot again. I have to boot into security mode and then reboot again and then it boots fine!! Very strange stuf.............

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well. I had exactly the same problem when I tried update the Microsot AHCI driver with the new rst 9.6 in my Windows 7 Pro x64. Hang at every try booting in the Windows Logo screen. I have a HP 2530p (last firmware and SATA AHCI mode enabled) with a new 18X-M 160Gb hdd updated at last firmware. At this moment, I'm using MS default driver, because with Intel is impossible.

I did a backup of my overall system, to try to do it with a new Windows installation using F6 drivers alternative, but I had the same result.

Reading this thread, I'm starting to think that the problem would be related with ICH9 chipset (ICH9M-E in my case).

For now, Intel rst is not for me. I hope this problem will be solved in a new release.