cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7 + 160GB SSD - Chipset drivers needed?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello,

I am planning to upgrade to the Intel G2 160GB SSD drive (boot drive) and want to know if the Intel chipset drivers are still needed after the OS install?

Here's what I am planning to do - please let me know if any changes are recommended (I've worked extensively with regular desktop OS installation, RAID configuration etc, but this is the first time I'm working with SSDs (and the size limitation on these) - hence the request for a review/suggestions

1. Connect SSD to SATA port, set to AHCI mode (disconnect all other drives except DVD drive)

2. Update firmware if needed

3. Install Win 7 64 bit Ult OS (no need to select any special drivers during installation)

4. Install Intel Chipset drivers <-- I assume this is still needed

5. Install SSD toolbox

6. Install GPU drivers

7. Disable windows disk defragmenter service

8. Install all necessary applications

9. Connect 2nd SATA hard drive (non-SSD)

10. Move "My documents" over to the 2nd drive connected in step 9 above) to conserve SSD space - or should I install the applications (step 😎 after this 'move'?

Does this look ok? Open to any suggestions

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I'm curious about your results as I purchased the same drive that will arrive on Wednesday.

also, how do you set your users folder to you secondary drive as stated in step 10?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I went with the Intel drivers - also installed the SSD toolbox from Intel. Works great! Windows boots up in 16 seconds (after the bios of course).

The move the user directory, there are really two options.

1. You can right click on the 'documents' in your start menu, select properties and update the locatio to the other drive where you want to store the files.

2. If you are using windows 7, the 'documents', 'music' etc on your start menu really are pointing to the libraries. So, I left those as is and just created new folders on the hard drive for documents, music, video etc... and added those locations to the 'documents', 'music', 'video' libraries. That way, when I click on music, it shows me both locations (I store everyone on the hard drive location).

The only annoyance that I have is that in AHCI mode, all these drives (including the SSD) show up under 'safely remove hardware and eject media' icon - just be careful to not click those . In my other post about this issue, Fernando had suggested drivers that would prevent that from showing up, but since were not hosted on Intel's site, I was not very comfortable about installing those.

HTH

MJohn26
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Thank you so much, I can't wait until tomorrow so I can play with my new drive.

-=Mark=-