cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X25-M not compatible wth HP Pavilion dv8t

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have a new dv8t with Win 7. I installed an X25-M 80 GB Gen2. My Bios does not have any auto-detect option. Windows 7 recognized it and installed drivers for it. However, it appears only in Device Manager, but not in My Computer. HP is pointing the finger at Intel, stating -- astonishingly -- that the drive is not compatible with any Pavilions. Has anyone been able to successfully install an X25-M in their HP?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No new drive letter will appear for any new storage device (bar perhaps pre-formatted USB disks) until they are initialised and partitioned.

Run this command:

diskmgmt.msc

Choose to initialise the drive. Do NOT tick the box to create a dynamic drive.

Then you will need to right-click on the unpartitioned space on the drive and create a new NTFS partition & telling it which drive letter to use.

You will then be able to see the new drive letter along with all your other drives.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No new drive letter will appear for any new storage device (bar perhaps pre-formatted USB disks) until they are initialised and partitioned.

Run this command:

diskmgmt.msc

Choose to initialise the drive. Do NOT tick the box to create a dynamic drive.

Then you will need to right-click on the unpartitioned space on the drive and create a new NTFS partition & telling it which drive letter to use.

You will then be able to see the new drive letter along with all your other drives.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you very much, smargh. Your solution worked like a charm! I was convinced that HP had it wrong when they claimed it was non-compatible.

Now, I would like to move the contents of my C: hard drive to the SSD, wipe the C: hard drive clean, and make my SSD boot drive. My BIOS does not have an option regarding boot order of multiple hard drives. How would I make my SSD the boot drive? Also, what is the best method for copying all of my C: drive files to the SSD? Should I simply "copy" or should I purchasing cloning software? Finally, how would I change drive letters such that the SSD now become the new C: drive?