cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

p3600 on ASUS P9D WS Motherboard.

CBrac2
New Contributor

Hi, I'm trying to install p3600 on ASUS P9D WS Motherboard. The device fits into a PCIe slot just fine and during motherboard startup, I can see the LED's on the SSD flash yellow (for activity) and then green for health. However, shortly thereafter the motherboard basically resets. Without the P3600 inserted, the computer starts up just fine. Any ideas? Do I need an updated bios on the motherboard? Thanks!

15 REPLIES 15

CBrac2
New Contributor

Thanks for the details. Interestingly, based on your suggestion, I did remove all but one stick of RAM and the motherboard didn't reset as a result. However, it didn't get to any visual display; the GP card read 53 (or E5 depending on your orientation) and then stayed there.

Ok, off to the ASUS website, and then likely Amazon for a different motherboard (unless ClementChong prevails). It'd be nice if there was some sort of standard/spec that I could match for compatibility (like processor socket types), short of looking at the list of tested motherboards.

Impressed by the community support here folks!

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Since that indicates a memory error, I can give you a workaround (to prevent the SSD from overwriting the SMBus SPD located at 53h).

Note: This workaround is not sanctioned by Intel, but it works for me.

You will need to cover one pin on the SSD with a sticker that does not conduct electricity.

On the side where the big heatsink is (Side B), starting from the bracket on the left, the pin that you will need to cover is the 10th (pin B10, 3.3V aux) on the right of the bracket (which is also the 2nd pin on the left of the PCIe notch).

I could attach a picture later if you are not sure of the location.

joephx
New Contributor

Hope everyone's doing well and CChon still use this forum:) My Optane P4800x AIC has the exact the same issue on Z97 whereas blocking the pin B10 doesn't fix it anymore (yes the trick worked for P3600 for me). Would anyone please shine light on it?

CBrac2
New Contributor

ClementChong -- fascinating suggestion. I can't find any electrical tape at the moment, so my response will be delayed for a couple of days. I'm skeptical that the card will fit smoothly into the PCIe receptor with a piece of tape on one of the pins on the card, but will take comfort in your experience here.

CChon3
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

I hope this picture is not too blurry to see the orange sticker covering the pin...