Intel® Optane™ Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Solid State Drives based on Intel® Optane™ technology, Intel® MAS and Firmware Update Tool

About optane ssd sql server test

springee1
Beginner

Hi all:

from this link https://itpeernetwork.intel.com/microsoft-sql-optane-scalable/#gs.d13194 , we can see optane ssd have very excellent performace.

I did the same test, but can't get the same test result.  my test result is that the optane ssd and intel p4500 ssd have the most same result.

maybe the sql server  configuration or hammerdb configuration isn't right. Could you please give me some advices?

Thanks,

Regards

Springee   

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Springee1.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Here is what I would would like to share after reviewing the information and trying to obtain more details.

Regarding the article, it was not intended to be a guide for customers to follow, and the intention of the author was showing the results he obtained by performing those tests in that specific system and configuration, so further guidance on how to reach the same results, or what could possibly be causing different results in your configuration, is not available.

The article also mentions that HW/SW changes may bring out further variations like in your case, for example, the article compares the results of the P4800X and P4500, and your tests involve the P4510 which is already an upgrade compared to P4500.

There are a couple of guides on how to properly evaluate and monitor the P4800X Series, but other tests or evaluations will have to be performed personally within your organization, just like the tests in the article you mentioned were performed specifically in that environment and configuration:

Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X: Performance Evaluation Guides for Windows, Linux and VMware: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057018/memory-and-storage/data-center-ssds.html

Troubleshooting and Health Monitor Guide for Intel® Optane™ DC SSDs: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Optane-DC-SSD_Troubleshooting-Health_Monitor_White-Paper-343408.pdf

If I can try to help you with anything else, or if you would like to add any comments, I will keep the thread open and will follow up on October 27th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BrusC_Intel

Hello, springee1

Thank you for posting on the Intel Community Support forums.

I will need to confirm if there is any additional information or guidance regarding that particular article, but please keep in mind that there may be none, and the information/instructions presented there should be considered as is.

Additionally, I would like to know the exact model of the Intel Optane SSD and Intel P4600 SSD being tested.

I will follow up on October 15th in case additional time is required.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
springee1
Beginner

Hello Bruce

Thanks for your reply.

The optane SSD is INTEL SSDPED1K750GA 750G , Intel SSD is P4510 4TB .

Best regards,

springee1

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, springee1.

Thank you for the details.

Please allow me to investigate and I will contact you back as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, springee1.

Good day,

This post is just to let you know that we continue working on your inquiry.

I will get back to you as soon as there are any updates I can share.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Springee1.

Thank you very much for your patience.

Here is what I would would like to share after reviewing the information and trying to obtain more details.

Regarding the article, it was not intended to be a guide for customers to follow, and the intention of the author was showing the results he obtained by performing those tests in that specific system and configuration, so further guidance on how to reach the same results, or what could possibly be causing different results in your configuration, is not available.

The article also mentions that HW/SW changes may bring out further variations like in your case, for example, the article compares the results of the P4800X and P4500, and your tests involve the P4510 which is already an upgrade compared to P4500.

There are a couple of guides on how to properly evaluate and monitor the P4800X Series, but other tests or evaluations will have to be performed personally within your organization, just like the tests in the article you mentioned were performed specifically in that environment and configuration:

Intel® Optane™ SSD DC P4800X: Performance Evaluation Guides for Windows, Linux and VMware: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057018/memory-and-storage/data-center-ssds.html

Troubleshooting and Health Monitor Guide for Intel® Optane™ DC SSDs: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Optane-DC-SSD_Troubleshooting-Health_Monitor_White-Paper-343408.pdf

If I can try to help you with anything else, or if you would like to add any comments, I will keep the thread open and will follow up on October 27th.

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos
BrusC_Intel

Hello, Springee1.

Thank you for marking the thread as "solved".

The thread has been closed, but if you require any type of assistance from Intel in the future, you can always contact us back by opening a new thread or using any of the available support methods:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-intel.html

Best regards,

Bruce C.

0 Kudos