Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AC-8260 randomly resetting, event error ids 5002 and 5005

Rave
Beginner

I have an older Lenovo 700-25ISH desktop with the AC-8260 wireless card (which came with the computer) and have been dealing with my wireless randomly resetting at least once every 3-4 days for about a month now. Opening the Event Viewer, I see Netwtw06 event errors 5002 and 5005, accompanied by NDIS event 10400. Device Manager doesn't show any errors and tells me the device is working properly, which leads me to believe it's the driver causing an issue.

I'm currently running driver version 20.70.27.1 from the latest downloaded package, which is 22.110.1. The readme states that something like this was s'posed to have been fixed, but I guess that doesn't apply to my card's driver. I've tried the driver version recommended by Lenovo, but as they haven't updated their version since 2020, it didn't fix it at all. I've changed settings, I've even reset Windows, but nothing's worked.

Included a report created using the SSU.

EDIT: Also having the event 6000 BSS Missed Beacons issue that's been reported elsewhere here, maybe that's part of the problem? Connection problems start happening when that shows up in the Viewer, and they've been frequently seen alongside the above issue.

0 Kudos
30 Replies
Jean_Intel

Hello @Rave

I would like to have a better inside of your issue, so please, provide me with the following information:

• Are you having issues just using Wifi, or are you also having problems with Bluetooth?
  • Have you checked if this issue happens on different networks?
  • Do you remember if this issue happened after a new OS update or Wireless driver update?
  • Have you tried a roll back to a previous driver version for testing?
  • You mentioned the error 'BSS Missed Beacons' are you able to try accessing the wireless network using another access point if possible?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

1. I don't use Bluetooth.

2. I haven't been able to test, as I typically am able to connect to only one network. Right now I'm trying another, but I don't know how long that connection will hold due to unrelated issues.

3. It first started a week after the February 2022 Patch Tuesday for Windows 10, so it's entirely possible that had something to do with it. As I reset Windows, I can't test that.

4. Other than 20.70.27.1, I've tried the Lenovo-recommended driver, which I've already stated did not work. Strangely, despite that one being dated for 2020, it's a higher-numbered version than 20.70.27.1. I find that odd. I've been able to find older drivers and am currently testing 20.70.26.2 to see if it makes a difference. Will likely take a few days to see.

5. Only one access point, sorry.

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

Looks like I didn't have to wait a few days.

No BSS Missed Beacon errors (looks like that's isolated to 20.70.27.1 and higher), but I'm still getting Netwtw06 errors 5002 ("Has encountered an internal error and has failed") and 5005 ("Has determined that the network adapter is not functioning properly") and NDIS event 10400 (resetting the 8260) even on a different network with 20.70.26.2.

The NDIS event states "Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset", which made me think it was the driver causing problems. Still no error messages in the Device Manager. I've reinstalled 20.70.27.1 for the time being as it doesn't actually seem to make a difference, but I can roll back to the generic driver Microsoft gave it when I reset, which is 20.70.3.3.

Starting to think it might just be the card itself going to heck, since nothing I try seems to be working. Prob'ly will end up buying a new USB adapter and trying that.

Or it might just be the router wreaking havoc, as it isn't the best to begin with. (Zyxel VMG4825-B10A through Consolidated Communications, this thing's been a problem child since it was installed over a year and a half ago and it's gotten worse since then)

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @Rave.

Thank you for the information provided.

The drivers you mentioned you have tried seem to be old and may have a conflict with the operating system version you have installed. My suggestion this time is to install the latest Intel driver 22.120.0, keep in mind that installing this Intel generic graphics driver will overwrite any customized driver from your Computer Manufacturer (OEM). OEM drivers are handpicked, customized, and validated to resolve platform-specific issues, enable features and enhancements, and improve system stability. Intel’s generic graphics drivers are intended for testing, and we recommend using drivers from Lenovo. In case you would like to continue, follow the steps given below:

• Download and save the driver (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649/intel-wireless-bluetooth-for-windows-10-and-windows-11.html)

• Disconnect the unit to the internet.

• Uninstall the Wi-Fi driver.

1. Go to Device Manager.

2. Expand the Network Adapters category.

3. Right-click your Intel Wireless Adapter and choose to uninstall it.

4. Make sure the option to Delete the driver software for this device is selected.

5. Repeat steps A through D until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is greyed out.

• Restart your computer.

• Install the driver downloaded before

Locate the driver you downloaded. Right-click the file you downloaded and select the option to Run as administrator. 

Let me know the outcome of the suggestion. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

I have already stated that the Lenovo-recommended driver (21.120.0.9) did not work. It is nearly a year and a half out of date (dated for October 2020) and only made the problem worse. I suspect why it's not updated is because this is an older desktop model nearing what they believe is end of life.

I'm not sure why you've linked a Bluetooth driver given that I've already stated that I don't use Bluetooth, but I've since discovered the equivalent download package for the wifi drivers. It's not labeled as latest in the dropdown menu, 22.110.1 still is, which is very confusing and really should be corrected. I'm now running 8260 driver version 20.70.30.1 from said download package, dated for 1/13/22, and will continue to monitor.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @Rave

Thanks for the heads up. My apologies for providing the wrong link. The correct one is the following:(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351/windows-10-and-windows-11-wi-fi-drivers-for-intel-wireless-adapters.html).

In case the issue persists with driver 20.70.30.1, my recommendation is to proceed and perform the clean installation for our latest driver.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @Rave

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

It'd been several days without a random reset, so I thought the update (which I did install cleanly, always do) worked. Just as I came back here to mark a solution and say it was all good, I got hit with the good ol' 5002 and 5005 errors accompanied by a random reset. Exact same as before, with the Device Manager still saying it's working properly.

The problem now is that there's no other driver I can try. Driver 20.70.30.1 is the latest for the 8260 from driver package 22.120.1, so unless there's another driver package update coming soon-ish that contains an update to that particular adapter's driver (and not just republishing the old one), I'm stuck with it.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Thanks for your response. I am sorry to hear that your issue persists.

This time, I would like to suggest updating the BIOS of your system installing the latest version available. The version available is FWKTA7A; it is recommended to have your system up to date. If you have any questions regarding the BIOS update process, you may need to contact the support for the OEM of your unit; the Lenovo website where you can find the latest BIOS file for your system is the following (https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/desktops-and-all-in-ones/700-series/700-25ish/downloads/ds104868-bios-for-windows-7-32-bit-64-bit-windows-81-32-bit-64-bit-windows-10-64-bit-ideacentre-700-25ish-710-25ish)

If the issue persists, I would like to request screenshots of the error messages you receive when experiencing problems with your wireless connection.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

One of the first things I tried, and for the life of me I couldn't get that update to work. Found out earlier that there's a reason for it.

I don't know if anyone else is gonna turn up here with an IdeaCentre 700-25ISH or 710-25ISH (both have the same BIOS update) and the same problem I have, but just in case: the update on that page is not FWKTA7A. It's actually a mislabeled update from 2016, and the BIOS version I had was from 2017 so it naturally wouldn't work. I Googled and found people in a somewhat similar boat had posted here and included a link to the real FWKTA7A. I know Lenovo views both desktop models as obsolete, but to drop the ball that hard is a little bizarre.

So now I have it properly updated and I'm gonna keep monitoring it. Hopefully it works.

Just in case it doesn't, or there's some insight that I'm missing, here's the requested screenshots of both errors and the NDIS reset. (The Netwtw06 warning below them is 6000 BSS Missed Beacons)

Error1.pngError2.pngReset.png

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello @Rave

Thanks for the clarification about the BIOS update; when I first looked at the BIOS, I noticed that the naming for your BIOS seemed to be newer than the one listed on the Lenovo website. However, due to naming rules varying from OEM to OEM, I believed that the version FWKTA7A was the latest as it was the only one filed on the website I looked on.

I would also like to wait to check the outcome of the BIOS update to confirm if this solves your issue. Let me know if you face the problem again.

Once again, I appreciate your comment and hope it may help other community members.

Best regards,

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello.

I hope you are doing fine.

Have you experienced any issues after the BIOS update?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

I'm honestly not sure if the BIOS update fixed it, it's been nearly a week since the last time it reset and there hasn't been an occurrence of it in that interval. I'm going to give it a bit more time, at least a few days, to see if it decides to act up again.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Thanks for reaching out to me. I am glad to hear that your systems have been running as expected for a week now.

As you requested, we will wait for a bit to confirm if your unit keeps working without any issues.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

Just happened again, so the BIOS update didn't work. Neither did a clean reinstall of the driver including cleaning out temp files beforehand nor turning off the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" setting. Same errors and reset as already screenshotted above, Device Manager still says it's working properly.

It went about a week and a half between this time.

I'm starting to seriously think it's the router actually causing the issue, as I and others in the household have frequently had connection issues related to it. We've had it for years, so it wearing out is possible.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rave.

Thanks for reaching out to us one more time. I am sorry to hear that the issue appears one more time.

As you assumed that the issue would be related to the Router, my suggestion this time is to try using another router or try to connect to another network just for testing and confirmation of whether or not the problem is related to the Router. 

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

Testing on a separate router is not possible, unfortunately. There's only one router here that I don't have physical access to. My relatives, who own the router, aren't inclined to do anything about it despite them complaining about connection issues as well. Not only that, but when the previous router was replaced years ago, it was moved to a different room, which I know for sure contributed to said issues.

Both networks I have access to go through the same router, so that's a no-go.

If the router is truly at fault, I might have to live with it or buy a new USB adapter and see if that works. I had an older one (pre-Windows 10) plugged in and it's mentioned on the SSU report, I've since unplugged it to see if that's somehow interfering.

I'm still not ruling out simple driver/Win10 madness, since even the latest driver for the 8260 is dated for before this started happening. No longer thinking the card's dying, though.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rave

Thanks for your response, I appreciate the information you provided.

I would like still confirm the router to be the root of the issue. Can you please try to replicate the issue using a wired connection?

You can also try using your phone as a hotspot, however, the recommendation is always to try and use another router. But I understand that you are unable to do so.

Best regards,

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Rave
Beginner

No-go on either. I don't have physical access to the router so a wired connection is not possible. Nor do I have a phone with a hotspot.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel

Hello Rave,

I appreciate the information.

The steps from my previous posts are necessary to continue with further support, as it is essential to confirm whether or not the router is causing the issue and not the wireless card. I understand that you have trouble trying the steps, but they are vital to continue to solve your problem.

Best regards,

Jean O.

0 Kudos