Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7443 Discussions

AX210 Driver version 22.160.0 causing Blue Screen of Death on Windows 10 and 11

Alvie
Beginner

Hello,

Yesterday, I started to receive Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) on my home PC. In order to diagnose the issue I was trying to look for the stop code but the screen went too quickly and would restart. I tried to look for the Minidump files but the folder was empty / no MEMORY.DMP anywhere.

Instead, I looked at Event Viewer, and there were a few errors but I wasn't sure of the cause. In order to diagnose further, I removed all unessential devices and removed a PCIe HDMI capture card as well as the Wi-Fi card as well as a few USB peripherals. After doing this, the issue did not persist. However, when I inserted the AX210 Wi-Fi card back in, I noticed the BSODs again.

I tried clean installing Windows 10, and updating AMD Chipset Drivers (I have a Ryzen 3700X PC), updated motherboard BIOS, and updated Intel Wireless Drivers via the drivers exe on Intel's website. After a few minutes, it BSOD again. Then I though it might be because of Windows 10 and the drivers are better supported on Windows 11, so I clean installed Windows 11. Again, updated chipset drivers, graphics drivers and Intel Wireless drivers. After a few minutes, the BSOD came back.

Then, I decided to uninstall latest Intel drivers and use the ones included in Windows 11. The issue didn't come back, I was able to use my PC again.

Next, I noticed there was an optional update in Windows Updates for 22.160.0 so I decided to install it to see if the driver via Windows' channel was different / supported but unfortunately a few seconds after, it blue screened again. I am mostly certain the issue lies with the driver as I have rolled it back again and it has not occured.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Alvie,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (Gig+).  

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

2. What is the model of the motherboard?

3. Can you take a picture of the errors in the Event viewer?

4. Does the issue happen with the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?

5. Does the issue happen with the Intel driver version 22.150.0?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
Alvie
Beginner

Hello,

Thanks for your response, after further troubleshooting, I am not fully certain that the issue is from the Wi-Fi card / driver but I am still unsure. The reason why I think it is because there are warnings from the wifi card shortly in the event viewer shortly before it blue screens / powers down. I will answer the questions to the best of my ability. Apologies if the issue is not related to the Wi-Fi card, if I find out that it is something else, I will also report back here.

Thanks,
Alvie

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one? 

No, my PC did not have any Wi-Fi cards pre-installed. This was installed after.

1. What is the model of the motherboard?

MSI B450 Tomahawk

1. Can you take a picture of the errors in the Event viewer?

Alvie_0-1662833342102.png

1. Does the issue happen with the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer?

My motherboard manufacturer does not provide drivers with this card, however the issues do not occur with Driver: 22.0.1.5 (17/01/2021) provided by Microsoft and signed by Microsoft Windows.

1. Does the issue happen with the Intel driver version 22.150.0?

I will test it and get back to you.
Edit: it does not let me install previous versions even after uninstalling the newer one, I'll try again later:

Alvie_0-1662833585621.png

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Alvie, 

Thanks for all the information provided. Based on your environment, I recommend you the following:

1. If not, use the antennas that usually come with the wireless card for desktop computers. Bare in mind that not all wireless cards are meant for desktop computer, the ones that are meant for it says "Desktop" on their name.

2. Just to confirm, are you using the latest BIOS version (7C02v1I)?

3. Just to confirm, did you make sure that all the latest updates for Windows are installed?

I also recommend you check with MSI to confirm if this wireless adapter is compatible and supported by their motherboard and BIOS.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Alvie
Beginner

> 1. If not, use the antennas that usually come with the wireless card for desktop computers. Bare in mind that not all wireless cards are meant for desktop computer, the ones that are meant for it says "Desktop" on their name.

Thanks, yes I am using the antennas that came with the wireless card. 

> 2. Just to confirm, are you using the latest BIOS version (7C02v1I)?

Yes, that is correct.

> 3. Just to confirm, did you make sure that all the latest updates for Windows are installed?

Yes, that is correct.

> I also recommend you check with MSI to confirm if this wireless adapter is compatible and supported by their motherboard and BIOS.
Thanks for the advice, I will check with MSI.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Alvie, 

Thanks for the confirmation. In order to investigate this issue further I will need the following:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Take a picture of the blue screen of death.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Alvie,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello Alvie,  

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

I recommend you check this behavior with MSI to make sure that their BIOS is compatible and supports this adapter.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
Alvie
Beginner

Hi, Sorry for not responding. I've been quite busy lately but I've done some further troubleshooting and found out it was not the Wi-Fi card/ drivers.

It was actually the NVMe SSD drive that I had; it was failing but not reporting any errors. Sorry if I have inconvenienced you.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,
Alvie

0 Kudos