Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

AX211 keeps disconnect after boot or wake from sleep

ChunxiZhang
Beginner

I had a new desktop computer with AX211 wireless, running latest windows 11, mb is MPG Z790 CARBON WIFI (MS-7D89), with latest driver from intel assistant.

Every time i boot up the system, or wake from sleep, the wifi would first connect for 1 mins or so, and disconnect it self. and connect it back again, and disconnect. and would never connect it back again anymore.

To fix it, runing diognostics would get it work for 1 min, then it disconnect. Sometimes in the notification area, the wifi option would disssapear when it happens.

To really get it working, i need to manually disconnect it, and manually connect it back, then it will stay connected until next boot or wakeup from sleep.

I tried reset the network device, toggle many settings include allow computer to turn off device to save battery etc, none works.

Btw my previews PC with previews gen card(one come with z390 master) had similar issue but didn't happen anymore after a driver upgrade, so intel fixed it for my old pc through a driver update.

Anyother device connected to the wifi router has no issue at all.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211 (Gig+).   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one? 

2. Is the Bluetooth working?  

3. Do you see any errors in teh device manager (code 10, code 43)?

4. Did you run all the Windows optional updates?

5. Have you checked this issue with the motherboard manufacturer?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

1. it come with mother board

2. bluetooth works perfectly

3. no error code

4. i run all updates. 

5. not yet

the problem seems introduced by 22.200 driver, which i installed from intel assistant(i like to keep all drivers up to date as possible).

i tried completely uninstall driver, and reboot, and install the 22.200 driver from scratch, problem still exist.

then i tried uninstall and install 22.180 driver from MSI site and windows updated it to 22.190 from optional update.

seems running fine so far.

please dig into this problem, since i'll install latest driver in the future eventually.

another problem is that it cannot choose 5ghz automatically, even when i set the priority to 5ghz.

so i have to blocked it to access 2.4ghz from router, then it is running fast with 5ghz having 1.0-1.9g speed, so the signal is perfect.

this algorithm is never done right with intel wifi, my other device like macbook and phones and smart tvs can all choose 5ghz automatically without further settings.

but this is less of a problem than the disconnecting problem, and can be bypassed by blocking it from accessing 2.4ghz.

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

tested again after computer wake from sleep, with 22.190 driver still disconnect.

seems like let the computer to sleep by itself can trigger this problem, manual sleep won't.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for the information. Before we continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Try the "Recommended Settings for 802.11ax Connectivity"

2. Have you updated your BIOS version to the latest version?

3. Have you checked with Microsoft to confirm if this is an expected behavior?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

1. setting was default and same as the recommended.

2. bios was the latest

3. i don't think disconnect the internet while i'm using the computer is an expected behavior no matter what settings i have.

but, as i upgraded driver to the latest again, and set the wifi channel to 149 from router, the disconnection problem seem never happen again these 2 days.

maybe there is some compatibility issue with wifi channel? before it was on auto, which is set to 36 by the router.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for the confirmation. Before I continue further, since you mentioned "upgraded driver to the latest again, and set the wifi channel to 149 from the router, the disconnection problem seems never to happen again", does that mean that the issue is now fixed?

I will be waiting for your confirmation.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

it only happened once in these 4 days, and that time i manually connected it to make it work.

It is much more stable now if not totally fixed.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for the confirmation. In order to continue, please let me know if you would like to close this thread or if you need any more help.

I appreciate your understanding.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang,  

After checking your thread, I would like to know if you need further assistance. 

If so, please let me know. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

in these days it still happened a few times. not as bad as before, but did happened several times.

I did no change to anything related to network.

i think it is still a problem worth more attention from developers, more tests maybe.

I can help to diognosis the problem if you can give me some kind of a monitoring tools to save and upload the error trace when it disconnect. There is some warning event in windows's event log related to it, but there is little information there.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for your response. In order to continue further, I will need the reports from the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

here is the log in attachment. hope it helps

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for your patience. Before we continue, I would like to confirm the following:

1. Is the same issue present with the driver from the computer manufacturer?

2. Have you tried to check if you can see the device manager ''power management'' and disable allowing this device to turn off to save power?

3. Can you test another AP?

4. Are you running the latest router firmware?

5. Can you confirm if the antenna is properly connected?

6. Are you far from the router?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
ChunxiZhang
Beginner

1. MSI's driver seem to be same as intel's 22.180.0.4 version. which behave the same. and will be automatically updated to newer version by windows update

2. toggled it in some tests i had, doesn't help. but logically, this function should never trigger when i'm using device anyway.

4. yes

to answer 3 5 6, i can re-describe the problem for you:

after boot/wake from sleep, it become into a state i called "unstable state". but by toggle wifi on/off or manually connect to AP, it might turn into a "stable state", which is working fine and won't disconnect anymore.

the unstable state is always triggered by boot/sleep/manually disconnect, but those actions don't always trigger unstable state.

when it is in unstable state, only manual toggle would make it into stable state, it won't fix itself. even reset the network or troubleshooter won't.

when it is in stable state, it will stay connected.

so this answers 3 5 6, which you might worry if this problem is router/signal strength related. another prove is that all other device at same distance/position or further has no connection issue at all.

this is just a software/driver issue

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for the confirmation. I will continue with the investigation and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello ChunxiZhang, 

Thanks for your patience. Based on the information given and the troubleshooting steps performed, my last recommendation would be to check with the motherboard manufacturer so they can run tests on their system.

Bear in mind that the "wake from sleep" option is related to the operating system and not to the hardware, you may need to contact Microsoft to get further information.

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos