Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Bluetooth disappeared

Tularis
Beginner

I have an intel AC8265 card in my PC. Bluetooth connections have worked just fine for the last year or so.

Suddenly since yesterday, the option to turn on bluetooth in windows has disappeared. The device could not longer be found in the device manager at all (even in the hidden devices list). I've updated all the drivers to the latest ones from intel, but it's till not there. I've also updated windows, but to no avail.

How do I get it back?

I've included the full intel system support report here.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Tularis,

You didn't mention if there was a software or driver update that recently happened just before Bluetooth dropped out. If so, what was updated?

According to the SSU report there is no Bluetooth device enabled. It is possible the Bluetooth radio was inadvertently turned off inside BIOS, or by the OS. The first thing to do is browse through the BIOS settings for network and onboard devices, and make sure any options to turn on Bluetooth are indeed enabled.

Another possibility, but I think less likely, is that Bluetooth was disabled by the OS. Windows does have the ability to turn off Bluetooth. To check that, open Settings, then Devices. Make sure Bluetooth is set to On.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Tularis,

You didn't mention if there was a software or driver update that recently happened just before Bluetooth dropped out. If so, what was updated?

According to the SSU report there is no Bluetooth device enabled. It is possible the Bluetooth radio was inadvertently turned off inside BIOS, or by the OS. The first thing to do is browse through the BIOS settings for network and onboard devices, and make sure any options to turn on Bluetooth are indeed enabled.

Another possibility, but I think less likely, is that Bluetooth was disabled by the OS. Windows does have the ability to turn off Bluetooth. To check that, open Settings, then Devices. Make sure Bluetooth is set to On.

Tularis
Beginner

Hi Khun,

I did not see any updates in the last few days prior to this suddenly happening. Though of course in the background something might have been updated.

I checked the bios, and it said Bluetooth was enabled. I re-saved the bios setting without changing anything and miraculously it worked! So apparently the bios-setting was somehow corrupted.

Thank you for the tip!

0 Kudos
Khun_Doug
Valued Contributor I

Tularis,

I'm glad doing a dummy save in BIOS resolved your issue. I find your symptoms strikingly similar to something that just recently happened to me. I needed to go into BIOS to get record some voltages. In no way would I have been messing with the Bluetooth settings. But the same thing you experienced happened to me: The Bluetooth suddenly just disappeared. I needed to go back into BIOS, enable the Bluetooth radio, save, and things were back to normal. I have no other explanation other than it's just one of those things.

Carry on brave adventurer !

0 Kudos